Compurter recommendation for X4

I am buying a new computer to use X4 on, budget is +-$1000. I am especially interested in the near photo realistic renderings and walk-thrus in CA.

Would a Dell 8300 w the following configuration work well:
    i7 2600 3.4GHz processor, 8MB cache, 12GB DDR3 Ram, 1.5 TB hard drive, 1GB Nvidia GT530 video (1 GB GT545 avail for $60 more), and Windows 7 professional. This system is $800 w a 24" monitor.

Any thoughts on this or other configurations/makers would be greatly appreciated.

if your going to do rendering and walk thru's you will need-want more power. Get the i7 2600k processor, its unlocked for overclocking. are you planning to make a living doing this or is it a hobby? If your in business doing this, spend a bit more and get a tower that's going to work for you for 3-4 yrs.
    Also may I suggest you go to a local computer shop/repair place and talk with them about making a tower for you. You will probably get a better warranty and local support if it needs to get fixed. I get a 3yr period from my local store. I still have a tower they built for me over 10 yrs ago! only thing that went bad was a hard drive after 8yrs.

I built my last tower, it was fun to build. They really are not that hard to do, plenty of youtube video on how step by step.
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

If you are not comfortable with this by all means stick with a prebuilt tower. The specs you gave are perfectly acceptable for a starting point. I understand the whole budget thing, been self employed since 1982!
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

If you want RT's go with the best "cpu" you can get, as that is what chief uses for those. Also, a very good video card w/ lots of memory is a must. Computer memory is another important item. Well, now that I have said those things, there goes the budget.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    If you want RT's go with the best "cpu" you can get, as that is what chief uses for those. Also, a very good video card w/ lots of memory is a must. Computer memory is another important item. Well, now that I have said those things, there goes the budget.
    Like Perry writes, if you want photo realistic rendering and you'll be using Chief then you need as much CPU as you can get and faster CPU = better for rendering.

The Dell at 3.4 GHz is not bad but the i7 2600k (as Michael suggests) will go well beyond 4.5 GHz and is probably the best bang for buck processor out there right now.

Also great advice to have it built locally that way you can have the local builder overclock it as well and handle all the cooling needs if needed. A local build should still be within your $1000.00 budget but you'll end up with a faster machine that will not only last you much longer into the future, where speed will always be king, but be upgradable when the time comes.

Good luck either way and let us know what you decide.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

mp recommended we contact you on this build, we build computers and run them in "hard" burn in's to ensure all parts live up to their standard before you get it. we can build you all the parts and pieces spec'd specifically to run chief.

let me know if you might be interested. we can probably work in a 3-year parts warranty with that budget.
    Ric Howe
    President

RH Designs, LLC
    804-366-7314
    version X4 64bit! & X3, X2, X1 & v10.08a & b
    ASUS P6X58D Premium 64bit socket 1366
    12gb ddr3 1333ghz 3-4gb sticks
    Core i7 950 Bloomfield 3.07
    Self contained liquid cooled with 3-120mm fans
    NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 1gb GDDR5
    richowe@rhdesignsllc.com
    www.rhdesignsllc.com

Residential * Commercial * Civil

I recently acquired an HP8400 workstation/5150 Dual core/4GB/Nvida 1500 (256k) video card. I added Win 7 (as MS is really promising to end XP support this year) 64 bit and Wah-la! X3 doesn't run on it. So, I upgrade to X4, only to discover it doesn't exactly work great on it either. 3D views take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to draw on large files.

Now here's the rub. My other (vector based) 3d cad programs fly on this thing. I have read in some of the posts here that Chief X- uses CPU power over GPU power (that while raster vs vector based thing I suppose) for the 3d draws.

So, from that I'm guessing I need more CPU power for X4? My 8400 will take (2) cpu's & (8) ddr2 dimms. Do I need that 2nd CPU or more ram (or both) instead of a hotter (1GB) video card?

Like ABCHOMESOLUTIONS has mentioned, cost is a major consideration at this time. Even though this workstation is an '06 model, all of the above categories of parts are still available but, I need to spend wisely (and no more than necessary at this point).

Thanks for any input.

Chief uses GPU for renders and CPU for Raytracing. So, if 3D render views are slow that's probably a GPU issue.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Looks like the NVidia 1500 is a 4 or 5 year old 'Quadra' card? With only 256k memory? That would explain the differences you are seeing in Chief's performance versus otherCAD.

OtherCAD programs can utilize the Quadra's architecture where Chief performs better with a gaming card that runs Open GL. Not up on the latest NVidia offerings but others may know the sweet spot to get you the performance you need. As always get as much performance as you can afford.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

if you are looking for photo-realistic and walk-thrus

your budget should be closer to $2,000 rather than $1,000

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The video card you listed is weak. You need at least 1 gb card, more if you can.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor