Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loving this feedback. I think I am getting clearer. Let's see if I am digesting this accurately:

• CA models in low poly.
    • Even if I export low poly models into another rendering program - I can only get to a certain point of photo-realism output because of low poly.
    • There is no way to take CA low poly output and make it high poly.
    • Low poly is faster / cheaper. High poly is more realistic / expensve.

Is there a modeling program similar to CA that outputs to high poly? Is it called Revit?

Computer specs:

Intel i7 Quad Core Enhanced Performance Processor 4.5Ghz
    8GB DDR3 2133 (2 DIMMS)
    NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB
    500GB 7,200rpm SATA
    20GB 2.5 SSD Cache Hard Drive (Paired with Non−SSD Drives Only)
    1TB 7,200rpm SATA

Dermot, to your point - I need more photo-realisim than what is on the link you provided.

In my case, the 3d rendering will be compared directly to real photography.

If I can't produce an image that is literally hard to tell from an actual photo - my customer will just use real photography. (They currently photograph their product in a interior room or exterior residential environment.)

I really like CA interface and libraries - but am starting to think it may not generate the output I need?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyhead View Post
    In my case, the 3d rendering will be compared directly to real photography.
    Well, then you need 3D Studio Max and V-Ray(this is optional, since i see very high end renderings made with Mental Ray -a built-in rendering add-on comes with 3D Max-)
    This means a very difficult training and practicing process.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

I do photo real stuff with chief but I first build the the 3model in chief as that is chief real strong quality then I export it into cinema 4d with vray and render the photo real part , photo real part is long learning process that take time to learn

Now I don't know of any program that is perfect at making a 3d model and photo real render I think you will have to use separate programs

You need to try and use chief as it is just the best for making 3d models to me it is the the only choice for that job
    Mark Brehaut , Manager
    3D Virtual House Architectural Visualization
    Chief X5
    cinema 4d 14
    Vray for cimema 4d

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You need to try and use chief as it is just the best for making 3d models to me it is the the only choice for that job
    For residential--here, here!

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Ohmyhead:

take a peek at the samples on Kathleen Moore's and Kay Norby's and Pat Aboud's websites

there are others that I am forgetting right now

they use chief for the modeling and then use Thea or other 3rd party raytracers

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Well....you all have been so gracious with your comments and suggestions. I am appreciative to all that have contributed to my learning.

I think the consensous is basically, give the software a try.

I agree. The best thing to do is just roll up my sleeves and give them a whirl. But here lies the fundamental issue and my annoyance at the software peeps:

(Caution - rant on).....

As a newbie, I have not used nor do I own any of these software.

Autodesk and most others only offer 30 day trial. CA offers free trial, but you can't save or export to see if their software will be compatible with others.

How in the heck am I suppose to learn these complex programs in 30 days to see if they are a good fit for my needs?

Sigh.

I suppose if the software didn't cost more than my car, I wouldn't mind so much. But it is an investment, and one I can't undo after I make it.

I'm just not understanding how in the world to make an educated decision.

Grrrrr.

(Rant off).

I guess I'll keep asking questions, if you all will put up with me.

Nickole

Nickole:

maybe someone can send you a .3DS export and a .VRML export of one of the their "fancy" plans

then you can import into software of your choice and play with it ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Reeeeeally?

Someone would acutally do that?!

*Drool*

Yes, that might answer a lot of questions and save me from the proverbial head banging on desk outbursts.

Is all I have to do is, ask? Or bribe with beer?

Asking. Bribing. Whatever is applicable.

ohmyhead@charter.net

Thanks for the suggestion, Lew.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyhead View Post
    Reeeeeally?

Someone would acutally do that?!

*Drool*

Yes, that might answer a lot of questions and save me from the proverbial head banging on desk outbursts.

Is all I have to do is, ask? Or bribe with beer?

Asking. Bribing. Whatever is applicable.

ohmyhead@charter.net

Thanks for the suggestion, Lew.

Maybe Lew will send one of his fancy pants plans so you can play with it.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

After all Lew has over 15,000 posts, he is one of the most experienced users here.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Here is an example of something done in the Chief/VRML/Thea workflow. It may not be quite as real as you are looking for, but I am not even that big of an expert in Thea. With more expertise in that software, you can get better results. Hi poly models such as the very elaborate bed shown earlier, can be imported into Chief but you will need a very fast computer with a very fast video card and a lot of RAM.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

That looks wonderful, so let's be honest here...... what would it look like if it was done in CA, how long did that render take in Thea and how long would a CA render take........... what are we talking about here, let's do some comparisons if we are trying to help out the OP.

Lew, will you please help us out and show us what it would look like if it was done in CA and compare it to what it would like in Thea, and would you please post the times for each render. I would greatly appreciate your expertise in this matter. You being a very experienced user with over 15,000 posts I respect your insight, thank you.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Bryce - this is indeed getting closer to the level of real that my clients need. I'm probably more in line with the high poly bed - but not quite that intense with the wrinkles. (Won't have that much fabric in my shots).

You think more mastering of the rendering program can get me there even with CA low poly model symbols?

Lew - looks like you have been nominated.

Do you have small files you can share?

Lew, will you please help us out and show us what it would look like if it was done in CA and compare it to what it would like in Thea, and would you please post the times for each render. I would greatly appreciate your expertise in this matter. You being a very experienced user with over 15,000 posts I respect your insight, thank you.

Scott is being sarcastic as usual

He knows I don't do raytraces
    when I need fancy ones I hire Kathleen or Kay or Pat etc

My partner has done some nice raytraces but nothing "fancy"

He doesn't have the time to learn Phoebe (Chief's built-in raytracer) or Thea etc

so we outsource the "fancy" stuff

we have never had to "decorate" a house to the level needed for "fancy"
    we outsource that as well

I'm sure someone will offer a "fancy" plan

If not, contact CA's customer service as they should have one "ready to go"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051