Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What 3d Modeling is Best for Me?

Hi all.

I am having trouble deciding if Chief Architect is the right program for my needs. I have read through much of the threads here (which I appreciate by the way) but still am not sure what direction to head.

Currently, I do no 3d rendering and I am not in the architectural / building world at all. That said, I am needing a program where I can create 3d residential architecture purely for the graphical content. I have no need at this time for BIM, nor do I need to get into plumbing, electric, framing, etc. I just need to create beautiful exterior and interior pictures (with furniture, landscaping, etc.) that are photo-realistic. I think I have it narrowed done between CA, ACAD Architectural, or Revit but that is where I get lost.

I need to be able to quickly model these environments. CA libraries are very appealing to me, and I probably would very rarely have a need for a custom symbol. However, I don't understand how CA would work with 3d Studio Max - which seems to be the preferred rendering program on the AutoCad platform and Arch Viz community. Do I even need 3d Studio Max to get photo-realistic output?

Side note: My work will compete directly with real photos so I truly need output that is 90% as good as real photos.

I would appreciate any feedback / direction that you are willing to share!

Thanks,

Nickole

It sounds like Chief is probably a good bet for you. There are various export options for the model you create in Chief like 3DS. Personally, I (and others here that do very high end renderings) use the VRML export and use the
    Accutrans converter software to create an XML file that can be open in Thea Studio, a very high quality rendering engine.

See this thread-

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ghlight=render

And also the link to the Chief to Kerkythea/Thea Converter below in my signature line.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

You can download a free trial version and see for yourself.

If all you need for your purposes is space planning and simple isometric, 3-D renderings then Home Designer titles or any Chief Premiere title will serve you well (Home Designer titles run from as little as $100.00 to 500.00 and Chief Premiere titles $1,500 and up).

I cannot tell, exactly from what you have posted what you may or may not need or want but you can download free trials of either Chief Premiere or Home Designer Pro and see for yourself before buying.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David:

the free trials don't allow for saves
    which I think also prohibits exports ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The post I made last night is still not posted here. It included a link - are those prohibited?

links are permitted

are you sure you submitted it ???

try again...

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

So, if I understand correctly, you are after a tool to quickly cobble together residential structures? The output fromwhich will then be imported into 3ds max, LightWave 3D, etc for instant "photo-realistic" renders? hm!

I think you are being unrealistic. Can CA Premier be part of your workflow? Yes! But if you're after the quality of photo-realism found within the self-identified Archvis sector, then--well, you're gonna need a bigger boat.

I might suggest getting involved at the forums over on Ronen Bekerman's blogsite @

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/

You can see end results and ask what software/hardware/training folks endured to be able to produce their art.

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Thank you for responding. Just for added clarification:

I am needing to render to this quality output (see attachment).

Sutcac: Will your suggested workflow get me there? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I was locked out of the links you said to click on.

David: I have a trial version of CA downloaded, but I can't save or export a file so I'm not sure how to test it out properly. Add that to my confusion about rendering programs, workflow, etc....that is why I'm relying on all of you experts.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Appreciate you taking the time...

Nickole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exterior rendering example.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	51452  

Thanks, Lew. It worked this time.

Jon - I appreciate your direction. I really may need a bigger boat and just don't know it. I truly thought I could build a room / house in CA and then inport that data into 3d Studio Max to get photo realistic output.

Sounds like that is wishful thinking?

Is the issue that CA doesn't provide appropriate data for that, or is the issue me not understanding there would be more steps to work flow?

I thought CA could turn out something similar to the picture in post #8, am I wrong?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

If the picture is an example of what you're after, then CA/Thea Render is completely capable.

If, you're after something like the attached, then you'll need that super yacht

(image is NOT my work)

jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarto_diagonal.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	51453  
    1.5TB HDD
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

I see. I think I'm starting to grasp what you are saying.

Can you compare / contrast CA/3d Studio Max/Vray workflow versus CA/Thea Render. I don't understand why one would be better than the other.

Nickole

Nickole:

some areas of the forum are blocked until you have X posts

contact CA's customer service and they can assist with access

its to slow down spammers

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Nickole,

It's all about the poly-count, or number of polygons used to model. High poly-count (3ds, mudslide, massFX, Lightwave 3D, etc.) provides greater detail, but you need @ minimum Workstation class hardware to function effectively.

Low poly (CA, Lumion, Octane, etc.) gives less "realism" but, these tools will work fine on PC grade hardware (with the right video card)

On top of functionality, there is cost and training time. I can have somebody vaguely functional on CA in a matter of days if they bring general PC graphics skills (Photoshop, SketchUp, Visio, etc.). Whereas I've seen kids coming out of years at Full Sail who can't tell their bottom from a hole in the ground as a CG "artist".

As for cost, a good budgeting rule-of-thumb is that the 3ds solution will be 10X greater for software/hardware/training than the CA-class solutions.

Hope this doesn't add to your confusion. If what you're after is the quality output of the photo you posted, then like I mentioned, CA is more than capable.

jon
    1.5TB HDD
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Take a look at the gallery on our main web site:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/produc...es.html#render

All of the images were generated by Chief Archtitect. If the quality of the images is suitable for what you need, then you should be able to use Chief Architect to model and render the images you want. If the rendering quality is less then what you need, you can still use Chief Architect as your primary modeling tool and then export the models to another rendering tool.

Either way, I would recommend that you get either the Interiors or Premier product. Both of these have the built in Chief ray tracing engine and both have the ability to export your completed 3D models. You can also call or contact our sales department for more information.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com