Roof intrudes into room!

I know it is definitely just an error I have made somewhere along the line, but hopefully it is possible to fix it!

I am using chief architect X2 and I have built a custom roof for a designed house. The roof looks fantastic and it has taken me a ridiculously long time (because I am new to the program).

When I finished I went back to editing some stuff inside the house and I realized that 90% of my roof planes are protruding through the ceiling of my house!

I'm wondering if there is a way to make the rooms "impenetrable" (as in nothing can protrude through the walls or ceiling) or to move up the entire roof so that the roof is high enough that it no longer intrudes.

Or really ANY other option that you think may work, but preferably without me having to recreate my entire roof again!

Thank you!

Oscar,

If the roof planes are pulled too far past the outside wall, into the room area, they will intrude into the room. Try pulling them out from the walls to where they just touch the outside main layer of each wall.

Another thing to check is that your main layer for each wall is defined correctly and the wall layers are facing the proper direction. To do that go into your wall definitions and see which of the layers is spec'd as the main layer. I use framing as the main layer but there's probably other methods. Then make sure your walls are drawn in the proper direction - clock wise - which keeps the out side of the wall on the outside of the building.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Oscar-It could be a number of things from roof planes not joined properly or the room height exceeding the space available under the roof, etc.and so on....
    Post the plan.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Oscar:

you could also try using the auto-roofs and only doing manual roofs as needed

Once manual roofs are in place then changes to the plan can be "fun"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

A primer on roofs

Hi Oscar, Welcome to ChiefTalk!

The first thing you need to understand is the roof plane dialog box, and specifically the "Roof Plane Baseline". The "Roof Plane Baseline" is located at the intersection between the vertical exterior face of the exterior wall studs, and the top edge of the rafters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BASELINE2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	51286

When you take a cross section view of your wall/roof, the roof plane should sit at the right elevation so you have the proper seat cut & plumb cut for the birds mouth on the rafter.

Notice the radio buttons to the right of the 4 different number values? When you highlight one of those radio buttons (& you can only select one at a time), you "Lock" that one number. The baseline is locked by default. When the baseline is locked, that becomes your "pivot-point", and if you change one of the numbers, such as pitch, or ridge height, your roof will pivot at the baseline height. Changing one numerical value will change the others, but leave whichever number is locked, the same.

To get some exact numbers, you first need to build your wall, roof, & ceiling framing, take a cross section view, then while in cross section view, first make sure your framing layers are turned on in that camera view, then click the "Auto Detail" button. This will place white boxes where your wall framing top plates are sitting, & show you where your birds mouth is. I am assuming your cross section looks something like this:

Name:	BASELINE3.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	51288

The next thing to do is to draw a cad line where your rafter is sitting on your wall plates, then draw another line at the top of your ceiling drywall (bottom of your ceiling framing), and take a dimension between the two lines. This dimension value is the amount you want to raise the roof plane, so it will be sitting exactly where you want it to.

There are two ways to raise the roof plane;
    1. By selecting the roof plane, hit the "Transform/Replicate" tool, check the "Move" button, and place that value in the box next to "Z-Plane"
    2. By opening the roof plane DBX (Dialog BoX ), place a check in the radio button next to "Pitch", and add that dimension value to the existing baseline number to get the right number:

Name:	BASELINE4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	51287

Using the roof plane DBX method, you can only adjust one roof plane at a time. Using the transform/replicate method, you can move as many roof planes you want all at once.

Once you get them all in the right spot, make sure you go back & re-join any roof edges that are no longer connected.
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 01-31-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Wow! Amazing group on here! Never gotten so many solid answers so quickly! I am just sitting down to work on it right now so I will try all or some of the above and see what works!

I'll post here how it goes; Thanks again!