Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I think the difference (Lew's drawing) in pad height using auto calculate is raised floor vs. slab, different platform depths.
    Maybe, but it is still wrong. I wanted the F.F. 1.0' above terrain. His was 1.8'.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

So maybe one of the points of confusion is where zero is with respect to the house?
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

This video is in response to the Gerry Teacher video....

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/GER...ER%20VIDEO.wmv

still cooking
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

check out the orig plan I attached in post #9

the plan you used in the video was for the auto-calc version
    and in that one I messed up the elev region around the house and set it 20'
    instead of the 19' your challenge had

I didn't notice that since I was trying to get other stuff done so I could get to the funeral etc

the auto-calc can give different results depending on whether there is a foundation etc

there are lots of variables that go into the auto-calc method

perhaps Doug can give a better explanation of the auto-calc method

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    So maybe one of the points of confusion is where zero is with respect to the house?
    Doug, I know you guys hate watching videos, and I get that, but I think this video will explain how I would like to see this work. I think the approach as detailed in the video is a very simple approach. What you guys have done works great IF the terrain data is supplied to us users prior to beginning the plan, but I will tell you that NEVER (almost never) do I get the topo prior to beginning plan. I am usually 50% finished with my project before I get the topo info from surveyor.

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/GER...ER%20VIDEO.wmv
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

check out the orig plan I attached in post #9

the plan you used in the video was for the auto-calc version
    and in that one I messed up the elev region around the house and set it 20'
    instead of the 19' your challenge had

I didn't notice that since I was trying to get other stuff done so I could get to the funeral etc

the auto-calc can give different results depending on whether there is a foundation etc

there are lots of variables that go into the auto-calc method

perhaps Doug can give a better explanation of the auto-calc method

Lew
    Perfect Lew, you did not use the auto calculate option, nice.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott:

what type of object can I add to a plan that is independent of both the terrain and the house ???

I want to add an object that sits on the terrain next to the house
    then I want to unset auto-calc and set the pad elevation to 50'

that should help determine which moves the house or the terrain

I tried a polyline solid but they are tied to the house

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Scott:

what type of object can I add to a plan that is independent of both the terrain and the house ???

I want to add an object that sits on the terrain next to the house
    then I want to unset auto-calc and set the pad elevation to 50'

that should help determine which moves the house or the terrain

I tried a polyline solid but they are tied to the house

Lew
    Oh, such an excellent question. Your psolid is tied to zero elevation of the PLAN, NOT THE TERRAIN. The psolid WILL NEVER be dependent on the elevation of the terrain, only the zero elevation of the PLAN. This is not bad, this is good, easy peasy.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here is one of the support articles on this topic.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...ubject=terrain

It looks like the offset is based on whether you have a slab foundation or framed foundation. If I were writing the code to do this, which I didn't, I would pick an offset based on the top of the lowest footing or slab.

In an ideal world the offset would be based off the highest point on the terrain that intersects the lowest footing or slab.

That is a pretty complicated calculation to do so I believe that what was done was far more simplistic.

However, that is really moot because no matter what way we choose to do the calculation it will likely not be what you want. Perhaps code is different in your area or perhaps you have some other need, visual presentation perhaps, that dictates a different offset. This means that in cases where you care where the terrain level is that you will need to take control.

At this point it is simple.

1) Take an elevation with the terrain displaying. A back clipped elevation may be more useful here so you can better see which part of the terrain is highest.

2) Measure the vertical offset of the terrain from where it is to where you want it and add or subtract that value from the pad elevation.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Here is one of the support articles on this topic.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...ubject=terrain

It looks like the offset is based on whether you have a slab foundation or framed foundation. If I were writing the code to do this, which I didn't, I would pick an offset based on the top of the lowest footing or slab.

In an ideal world the offset would be based off the highest point on the terrain that intersects the lowest footing or slab.

That is a pretty complicated calculation to do so I believe that what was done was far more simplistic.

However, that is really moot because no matter what way we choose to do the calculation it will likely not be what you want. Perhaps code is different in your area or perhaps you have some other need, visual presentation perhaps, that dictates a different offset. This means that in cases where you care where the terrain level is that you will need to take control.

At this point it is simple.

1) Take an elevation with the terrain displaying. A back clipped elevation may be more useful here so you can better see which part of the terrain is highest.

2) Measure the vertical offset of the terrain from where it is to where you want it and add or subtract that value from the pad elevation.
    Again more confusion,
    .......terrain that intersects the lowest footing or slab.....
    , please forgive me but it is really more confusing than it should be, and I am assuming you are referring to AUTO CALCULATE, and if you are not, it is still confusing, my video in response to the Gerry Teacher video best explains how to simplify this entire process.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Your psolid is tied to zero elevation of the PLAN, NOT THE TERRAIN

Scott:

so what type of object can I place that is independent of the terrain and the house ???

also please review post #68 and then do a video for a "DENVER" plan

I think your idea of AWAYS setting the pad elevation to 0" doesn't work when trying to use sea level elevations ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Let me state this again..... I can do anything I want with the way you guys have it set up. I get it, I understand it, and I can do anything I want with it. I am simply trying to get all of us all the same page, and I am trying to make it easier for the newbie to understand. This program is so good and so easy to use (if you understand the procedures), I hope you guys at CA understand that I do appreciate this program and I have very few complaints..... well except for the lack of ridge caps and shadow boards...... and I sure wish you guys would fix the problems that the Chargers are having......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott:

I understand that you can do terrain, Gerrry can do terrain, and now I can do terrain (somewhat)

the question is you are advocating ALWAYS setting the "pad elevation" to 0" and that doesn't work when trying to match a survey with sea level contours

try the Denver challenge

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Scott:

BTW:

Gerry was talking about center point and floor platforms and 6" because he was using the auto-calc method in his video

if auto-calc is off then none of those concepts come into play at all

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Scott:

BTW:

Gerry was talking about center point and floor platforms and 6" because he was using the auto-calc method in his video

if auto-calc is off then none of those concepts come into play at all

Lew
    Agree..............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX