P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Since no one is going to bother to read this post anyway, I can say what I want.

LET me attempt to clear up some of Scott's confusion and some others.

There is NO such thing in chief as TP (Terrain Perimeter) elevation. So there is nothing to set. All references are (fixed) to 0 -- assumed to be sea level. It CANNOT be changed. This has been explained before and generally does not cause a problem except to surveyors and builders who usually reference to a local marker. if you have no terrain , terrain level is assumed to be zero, if you have a terrain, it's whatever the elevation data says it is (default 0) , always in relation to 0 (sea level ).

Pad elevation is related to wherever the center point bottom foundation level is to its location on the terrain surface. And is given in relation to 0 - sea level - explained before.

Contour elevations are +- to sea level 0.

Everything is Okey-Dokey unless you get surveyor's data referenced to a local Surveyor's marker level, thus the confusion between sea level and elevation data. You CAN NOT bias the 0 point (sea level).
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

how do I get the contour #'s large enough to read so I can post a pic ???

my contours match yours exactly

I have also attached the challenge plan with the foundation built

I never noticed that when using auto-calc that chief displays/updates the
    "Pad elevation"

Thus, I have attached pics showing the "pad elevation" without a foundation as I posted in my first plan earlier today

and a pic of the "pad elevation" with a foundation as in this latest plan

time to head to the funeral (friend's cousin)

Lew
    Text size controlled via layers.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Gerry:

I agree....

I may not be saying it correctly but I agree with your info

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Since no one is going to bother to read this post anyway, I can say what I want.

There is NO such thing in chief as TP (Terrain Perimeter) elevation. So there is nothing to set. All references are (fixed) to 0 -- assumed to be sea level. It CANNOT be changed. This has been explained before and generally does not cause a problem except to surveyors and builders who usually reference to a local marker. if you have no terrain , terrain level is assumed to be zero, if you have a terrain, it's whatever the elevation data says it is (default 0) , always in relation to 0 (sea level ).

Pad elevation is related to wherever the center point bottom foundation level is to its location on the terrain surface. And is given in relation to 0 - sea level - explained before.

Everything is Okey-Dokey unless you get surveyor's data referenced to a local Surveyor's marker level, thus the confusion between sea level and elevation data. You CAN NOT bias the 0 point (sea level).
    My confusion or yours or simply semantics. I can change the terrain perimeter all day long. Open DBx and change. I can put terrain above house or below, keep in mind that my one stry house elevation is staying at 0.0.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yes, t.p. can be changed very easily. The contour lines stay the same though.
    Last edited by perryh; 01-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    . I can put terrain above house or below, keep in mind that my one stry house elevation is staying at 0.0.
    Always (only) in relation to 0 (sea level).

So if know how to set elevation data in relation to sea level and the pad elevation. What's the problem?. You can only put the terrain above the foundation, if you turn off auto-calculate. It all works just fine.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

This is a three part test. You are to recreate the model pictured below

Part 1: Build a 20X30 house.... easy peasy
    Part 2: Determine the ELEVATION OF THE TERRAIN PERIMETER
    you can use Doug Park average ht. method (this comes from this thread http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....799#post423799)

Part 3: Build the terrain as pictured below. Note the terrain contour callouts are automatic, that is part of the test.

I am curious as to what everybody set there TERRAIN ELEVATION at.
    D. Scott,

I have been away for a couple of days and come back to this very interesting conversation.

Can you explain what you mean in the above by
    ELEVATION OF THE TERRAIN PERIMETER - is there such a thing?
    and TERRAIN ELEVATION - is there such a thing? Do you mean Pad Elevation?

In your example I would set the Pad Elevation to 20' (relative floor level) - is that what you want to know?
    What are you trying to achieve?

Haven't we been through this before?

I think a lot of confusion arises because when you have a Terrain Perimeter with contours and you uncheck Auto Calculate Elevation.
    Under these circumstances Pad Elevation is the elevation you are setting for Chief's zero floor level to - it has nothing to do with setting terrain building pads or elevation regions under the house - or nothing else to do with shaping or modifying the levels of the terrain.
    It simply relates zero floor level to the terrain levels.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 01-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

And in another thread Doug is boasting about how flexible this is in that we can use real world elevations or elevations relative to the first floor. Have you seen an example of this, I have not. .
    D. Scott,

I have attached 3 simple plans showing Relative levels (auto calculate floor height), Real World levels (auto calculate floor height) and another showing relative levels with a specified floor height.

PS
    One of the plans was corrupt.
    I have reattached for those who are interested.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 01-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I can change the terrain perimeter all day long. Open DBx and change. I can put terrain above house or below, keep in mind that my one stry house elevation is staying at 0.0.

Scott:

when you change the "pad elevation" you are changing the HOUSE
    not the terrain

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Much ado about nothing...

David:

sorry but since there is confusion it should be discussed to try and resolve that confusion

if the confusion is left unanswered then future readers will be confused or mis-lead etc

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Text size controlled via layers.

Scott:

Hmmm, I tried that before and I just tried again

they don't change at all ???

too tired - I"ll try again in the morning

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post

Gerry,

I agree with the thrust of what you say - there is no such thing as Terrain Perimeter Elevation.

But, I'm not sure that we are talking semantics here, but I see things a bit differently.
    I think of all levels set in relation to chiefs zero floor level - nothing to do with "sea level" - does a negative elevation mean the building is below sea level? - not very realistic.

I can have relative levels (relative to Chiefs zero floor level) by specifying minus levels for below Chiefs zero floor level and positive levels for above Chiefs zero floor level.

I can have absoulte levels by specifying a Pad Elevation at an actual elevation and then terrain levels at actual elevations (but, everything still remains relative!).

If there is any confusion, have a look at the 3 plans I attached in a previous post - no mention of sea level, not a wave in sight (or should that be site).

Oh, one other thing, when you say: "if you have no terrain , terrain level is assumed to be zero, if you have a terrain, it's whatever the elevation data says it is (default 0) , always in relation to 0 (sea level ).

Once again, what has it got to do with sea level?
    In these situations isn't terrain level whatever the formula is (eg: -6" - floor thickness below Chiefs zero), and not zero.

I think we are agreeing but just seeing things from a different frame of reference or relativity.

The main point being that I have no confusion about terrain levels and things all work great as they are!
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

think of all levels set in relation to chiefs zero floor level - nothing to do with "sea level" - does a negative elevation mean the building is below sea level? - not very realistic

Glenn:

chief's manual discusses sea level

in the real world all absolute terrain data is based on sea level

by default chief works with relative height values for the terrain elevations (set via elevation data such as regions)

then it auto-calcs the "pad elevation"

when auto-calc is off and a "pad elevation" is entered that value is an absolute value per sea

with auto calc on the house "rides" the terrain like a BOAT
    the house elevations are relative within the BOAT, yet the boat is at an ABSOLUTE value in relation to the elevation data
    and the "pad elevation" per sea level

with auto calc off the connection between the house and terrain is broken
    after that each MUST be set separately

if the elevation data (such as regions) is changed and the "pad elevation" is left at zero the house remains at sea level

with auto calc off and adding no elevation data (such as regions) the TP will remain at its default of 0" sea level
    change the "pad elevation" to 50' and the house will be in the air at 50' above sea level

read the sea level references in the manual

Lew
    Last edited by lbuttery; 01-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Glenn:

I have attached the manual's references to sea level

Lew
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lew Buttery