Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
    Doug,

Your explanation still doesn't solve thetwo biggest problems. The numbering of the doors and windows are scattered all over the plan. You have to set it up so we can "cannect the dots" with numbering.

And also, when you do a revision and remove a door, or make a change or remove a column of information, the schedule will completely renumber every door. Anyone who has been working with the schedule in the field will be mystified why I went and renumbered and changed every single door number. That's just nuts.

I love this program, but this is something basic that needs some work.
    After version 9 i thought we were finally getting what we asked for but when version 10 came is when i stopped sending money to Chief.
    You can Find me on http://www.facebook.com/RickThomas100
    Thank GOD for Avatars ! So ugly people can hide behind them ! LOL
    Computer User since Atari 400
    AutoCad 9.0 to 2012 till Chief Came along.
    Chief User Since Version 4.0
    Building New Homes for 35 years.
    Don't let anybody fool you ! A home builder with CAD under his belt that actually uses a hammer and computer will run circles around the Desk jockey's playing with their mouse.

I can'tsay from experience that CA has spent most of their time on the Rendering side of Chief, since I've only been a user for 1.5 years. But I often find myself sending the software engineers a screen capture movie of VERY simple tools from Vectorworks that I think should definitely by in Chief.

Hopefully they like the suggestions and don't take it as a personal criticism. I know I hated "input" from the design professors in school. But the only way to get things we want, and get things fixed, is to ask, ask, and ask again. And if you get ignored, stop giving them your money.

So far, in 1.5 years, I've been impressed with the feedback and professionalism from CA.
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD
    16 gb Corsair Vengence LP ram
    Corsair 750w power
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
    2 Westinghouse 26" monitors

Laptop - Asus G75VW-BBK5
    17.3"
    i7 2.3 ghz w/8 gb
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2 gb

We love suggestions. We would also love to respond to every one, but currently that is not possible as there are so many. This is really a good thing because it means there are a lot of people using Chief in a lot of different ways which means that it is likely that we will be able to continue to improve the product for a long time to come.

I just wish I could do it more quickly as I'm sure most here would like as well.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    I don't do materials lists but I do create windows, doors, cabinets and fixtures schedules. I would love to have a column in the schedules that shows a thumbnail image of the item. In the case of windows, doors and cabinets, I want the image to be an elevation image. For fixtures, I would like a plan view image.
    Heck with that, I want a 3D image!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by Rickt1962 View Post
    After version 9 i thought we were finally getting what we asked for but when version 10 came is when i stopped sending money to Chief.

same here....

....nearly a decade after v9 came out, 5-6 since v10.... and this is still not done....
    Tim O'Donnell

Not sure what you guys are talking about.

When I edit the doors, they don't renumber, they keep the original number they were assigned unless I delete the schedule and build a new one.

Granted they could add more to it, but the numbering is fine.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Try adding, deleting, moving doors, etc. in the plan. That's when the renumbering usually happens.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

MTH is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    I don't do materials lists but I do create windows, doors, cabinets and fixtures schedules. I would love to have a column in the schedules that shows a thumbnail image of the item. In the case of windows, doors and cabinets, I want the image to be an elevation image. For fixtures, I would like a plan view image.
    Try a demo version of Archicad. T
    Sincerely,

Mark T Hendricks, CPBD Assoc. AIA

MTH is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    Not sure what you guys are talking about.

When I edit the doors, they don't renumber, they keep the original number they were assigned unless I delete the schedule and build a new one.

Granted they could add more to it, but the numbering is fine.
    Right click on schedule and use re-number command
    Sincerely,

Mark T Hendricks, CPBD Assoc. AIA

Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    Try adding, deleting, moving doors, etc. in the plan. That's when the renumbering usually happens.
    That's what I talking about. When I delete/add, move the numbering stays the same.

Mark, And I know how to make it renumber if I want to, but usually I don't want that.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

I know this is an older post, but I'm thinking it might fit here...

Can we get a window/door schedule that includes items such as lite pattern info (6/6, etc) and jamb depths?
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
    I am begging everyone to request the programmers straighten out the window and door schedules in Chief. We need more control of how the schedule acts, without having to explode it and convert it to text which then loses all the automatic updating of the info. If that's what is required for more control, than why bother with a schedule when you could do the same thing in MS Excel.

I understand that Chief defaults it's schedules the way it does because it's easier for Material and Quantity take offs to show 20 to 30 doors and windows as a single line item, but I can't possibly do a commercial renovation and have 20 doors with the same number. I also can't have doors directly adjacent to each other, but with crazy numbers (one door is #27 and the very next door is #38). That's just aweful for commercial projects. It's so bad, that it makes me seriously consider maintaining my Vectorworks subscription just for my commercial work.

Please ask them to work on this and find a better solution. We really need:

1. Window and door schedules that still have the automatic/live update feature.
    2. More control of the placing and numbering of the doors/windows.
    3. Option for single line item reporting of individual doors/windows.

We really shouldn't need to:
    1. We should never have to explode the schedule and convert to text, or do it in MS Excel.
    2. We should NEVER have to use the Renumber Schedule command. This creates a HUGE headache for re-issued drawings. Every single door and window renumbered. That confuses everyone, and I have revision clouds everywhere.
    3. We should never have to do our own custom labeling of doors and maniupulate the schedules to match.

Please voice your need for this change also. I know many people here still use the old way of having the window code on the plan like and Andersen 3046 or TW3046, etc., but this doesn't work on projects that get progressivle more complicated. We need more options. Can you imagine doing a 5 story medical office and having one door on the first floor numbered #2 and another door on the fifth floor that is number #3? The contractor would kill me. Add the owner would never hire me again.
    Very good, but a word to the wise I would not hold your breath. Chief does not move very fast in this area. I've been waiting for 10 upgrades for schedules and slabs to work.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

I would love to see more "Architect" level elements in Chief Architect. I think the program is great, but when it comes to using door and window schedules, I gave up a long time ago for all the reasons mentioned above. I understand that the developers specialize in software, but I think they need to do more research into what designers really need in window schedule functionality.
    There are a TON of videos for the X4 release that focus on the benefit of being able to change the style of labels on doors, windows, etc., and how those translate to the schedules. But IMHO, it's less important than a schedule that allows me to control the number of a door or window (to avoid re-numbering).
    It seems VERY simple to me that each door and window could have a checkbox for auto-number or an override to do a custom number that would feed into the schedule.

Old thread, but my .02...

Ability to show door handing (left or right) so pre-hung doors can be ordered from the schedule.

I'll add my vote for more control over schedules. I specifically would like to choose how to order the schedule. I would choose to order by window width first, then by height, narrow to wide, short to tall.

As it is now, it orders a 24310 before a 2432 (it's looking at digits, not numbers). A 310 is taller so should order after the 32.
    Maureen
    X6.current