Threaded View

DEMAND better door and window schedules

I am begging everyone to request the programmers straighten out the window and door schedules in Chief. We need more control of how the schedule acts, without having to explode it and convert it to text which then loses all the automatic updating of the info. If that's what is required for more control, than why bother with a schedule when you could do the same thing in MS Excel.

I understand that Chief defaults it's schedules the way it does because it's easier for Material and Quantity take offs to show 20 to 30 doors and windows as a single line item, but I can't possibly do a commercial renovation and have 20 doors with the same number. I also can't have doors directly adjacent to each other, but with crazy numbers (one door is #27 and the very next door is #38). That's just aweful for commercial projects. It's so bad, that it makes me seriously consider maintaining my Vectorworks subscription just for my commercial work.

Please ask them to work on this and find a better solution. We really need:

1. Window and door schedules that still have the automatic/live update feature.
    2. More control of the placing and numbering of the doors/windows.
    3. Option for single line item reporting of individual doors/windows.

We really shouldn't need to:
    1. We should never have to explode the schedule and convert to text, or do it in MS Excel.
    2. We should NEVER have to use the Renumber Schedule command. This creates a HUGE headache for re-issued drawings. Every single door and window renumbered. That confuses everyone, and I have revision clouds everywhere.
    3. We should never have to do our own custom labeling of doors and maniupulate the schedules to match.

Please voice your need for this change also. I know many people here still use the old way of having the window code on the plan like and Andersen 3046 or TW3046, etc., but this doesn't work on projects that get progressivle more complicated. We need more options. Can you imagine doing a 5 story medical office and having one door on the first floor numbered #2 and another door on the fifth floor that is number #3? The contractor would kill me. Add the owner would never hire me again.
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD