Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

radiused drywall corner

I just figured out that Chief will produce a very nice radiused drywall corner using a double wall.

In this case I have one wall as half inch drywall, and the other as 3-1/2" framing with 1/2 drywall on one side only.

One nice feature of doing it this way is that the moldings will follow the curve. Another plus is that the radius shows properly in plan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plan radiused corner.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	25940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radiused drywall corner.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	25941  
    Last edited by billemery; 09-07-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Ok now, you know the base board hasn't a radius and doing the three piece corners w/base if not done yourself may as well give the house away for the trim carpenters price if he does it right which is unlikely....Oh, just do a 90° - Do you 90° your base or 22.5 three piece it (for bullnose corners)?

- Accomplishing the "radiused drywall corner" with CA is a feat as I believe most have given up trying.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

You can buy round corners for the baseboard.

That looks good Bill.

Think you could give a more detailed description of how you made it?

Thanks
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Jere,
    The first step is to define the wall types. One has a single layer of half inch drywall. The other is the 4-1/2" interior wall with one layer of drywall removed, for a wall thickness of 4".

First draw a straight wall with the the drywall only. then draw a curved wall with a tight radius with angle snaps turned on to get it to a 90 degree arc. Then draw another straight wall to complete the corner.

Now I have the outside corner; next I draw the inside walls using the modified interior wall type. I then move it in until it touches the 1/2" drywall wall.

I then select the walls and check "double wall" in the DBX.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Here's a nice radiused window wrap as well using a molding polyline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window wrap.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	25942  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Neat trick Bill. Have to wonder WHY this happens? Did you just stumble across this?

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

- You can buy round corners for the baseboard.
    - A good point, though have not found that for the various bases used in these type homes and the the cornered base does not look bad but is an added expense.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Hi Bryce,
    I've got a client that likes this look in a plastered wall. I've seen the various work arrounds, but wanted to find a better way.

I first started by breakintg the wall near the corner, and changing the wall type to one with no drywall on the outside, and then filling the corner with a polyline solid with the curve and short straight sections, which looks good, but I didn't want to see the wall breaks in elevation

It then occured to me that if the wall wall thin enough I could turn a very tight radius. It then hit me that the double wall was the solution.

We do have the radiused trim pieces available here in most common profiles which are much easier to use that the mitered method. We also have corner bead transition pieces here that allow us to transition to a square base.

The issue of different base configurations can be solved here by using a modified room polyline molding.
    Last edited by billemery; 09-08-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

I've been having trouble with the way doors trim out in this double wall, so I'm breaking the wall just out of the corner and using a regular interior 4 wall. This still gives me a seamless look in elevation
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Thanks Bill, very interesting.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Bill, very nice workaround.

In these parts, drywallers charge about $15 for a 'transition cap', and trim carps (myself included) charge between $10-$15 for double miters. The molded base never seams to match the straight molding, especially if its to be stained, and is not used too much.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Jere,
    The first step is to define the wall types. One has a single layer of half inch drywall. The other is the 4-1/2" interior wall with one layer of drywall removed, for a wall thickness of 4".

First draw a straight wall with the the drywall only. then draw a curved wall with a tight radius with angle snaps turned on to get it to a 90 degree arc. Then draw another straight wall to complete the corner.

Now I have the outside corner; next I draw the inside walls using the modified interior wall type. I then move it in until it touches the 1/2" drywall wall.

I then select the walls and check "double wall" in the DBX.
    Brilliant work Bill!
    I'm mostly following you here except in the selecting the walls and checking the "double wall". I've tried selecting the walls one by one and all but the curved portion will allow me to check the double walls. The curved wall is greyed out.

Now I may be doing something different.
    I am making an exterior wall with one of those tight (8") sidewall craftsman style soft corners.
    So I made a 3/4" siding wall as my "exterior" and a framed 5 1/2 with 1/2" gwb "interior" wall.

But so far I'm not quite able to get all three straight seqments of the framed interior wall to merge with the 3/4" exterior wall, right at the curve. The frame portion which is 90 degrees pokes through the 8" curved portion.

Suggestions??
    Last edited by jtcapa; 01-31-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: PICTURE
    -=JT=-

This is very nice Bill.

OTOH, it would seem that CA could provide a default for "Outside Corner Radius" for Interior and Exterior Walls. They could also add this to the Walls dbx and make the rounded corners automatic. This would be a really neat addition for X5 - a little something extra

I'm on the beach in Yelapa,Mexico; a village only accessible by boat, so I'm not near my computer

It's been a while back since I did this, and I'm guessing that walls may have changed enough in X4 to make more difficult.

I'll check it out next week when I get home.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net