Objects that "exist" but cannot be seen or selected?

I am editing some existing plans for a client of mine taking groups of objects from one layer and transferring them to newer, named layers.
    The reason for is, over the versions-years older plan layer names have antiquated in terms of organization and newer abilities of Chief which makes perfect sense.

What does not make "perfect sense" is that after transferring all visible objects to the new layer by marquee-select and or using the : layer-painter/eye dropper while in the "All Off" layer set (only the layered objects that I want to move to the newer layer names/sets/anno sets is turned "on" for easy handling) there still shows a "red plus sign" in the "Used" column even after marquee-select one floor at a time and in camera views, nothing is "there", yet the software insists there is something "there".

This is not ruining my Life but if there is an answer to this conundrum, I would like to hear a possible-reasonable explanation.

I have seen this occur over the years from time to time and just skipped it because it is no big deal in terms of getting my work done but I would like to understand how this might be caused to occur please, if anyone actually knows.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I just ran into this yesterday. Make sure you go up and down all floors and move items. That's what fixed it for me. . .
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

There are a variety of reasons why a layer may be marked as "in use" even though you can't find readily find any objects on it.

- The layer is used by a cad object that is inside of a cad block. Cad blocks can have many objects and any object can be on any layer. You can verify this by using the Cad Block Management dialog to place the cad blocks in a plan and then explode them.

- The layer is used by an object in a Cad detail. All of the cad that is in a cad detail is still considered in a plan even though they don't show up in a plan.

- The layer is used by an object in a saved cross section or elevation. All of the objects that are only visible in a saved elevation are still considered part of the plan.

- The layer is used by a default object. Defaults are also considered part of a plan even though they are not drawn directly in the plan. They are used when you place new objects so any layers used still need to exist.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    There are a variety of reasons why a layer may be marked as "in use" even though you can't find readily find any objects on it.

- The layer is used by a cad object that is inside of a cad block. Cad blocks can have many objects and any object can be on any layer. You can verify this by using the Cad Block Management dialog to place the cad blocks in a plan and then explode them.

- The layer is used by an object in a Cad detail. All of the cad that is in a cad detail is still considered in a plan even though they don't show up in a plan.

- The layer is used by an object in a saved cross section or elevation. All of the objects that are only visible in a saved elevation are still considered part of the plan.

- The layer is used by a default object. Defaults are also considered part of a plan even though they are not drawn directly in the plan. They are used when you place new objects so any layers used still need to exist.
    whoa. I guess there's that too. . I got lucky!
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Dermot:

it would be nice if we could select a layer and get a "report" of every object using that layer

the "report" should give us the floor and the room name and possibly put red circles around the object etc

having to hunt for these objects can be a real PITA

Chief knows where they are - please share the info

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks Dermot!

I am not so anal that I feel the need to be able to chase every particle of any plan down to nine decimal points but if I wanted or needed to, like Lew suggested it would be a major PITA to Sherlock Holmes that down, block by block, object by object.

So I second Lew's motion to not by default keep us poor, overworked, victimized end-users in a Donuts-Eater dungeon of mystery and despair. Think about it please.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

This thread is way less metaphysical than I expected.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook