Dimensioning Non-Parallel CAD Lines...Question Turned Tip

Sometimes just the process of posting a question here stimulates something in my brain to discover the answer to the problem and this morning I was struggling with trying to get a good dimension between CAD lines that are at odd angles ( not 90, 180, 270 etc.). ALWAYS had trouble with this, especially trying to dimension setback lines within property lines.

End to end would seldom give a dimension and point to point was a total PIA to get right.

So as I was posting my question I thought that I should try a couple things. First I made the setback line parallel to PL using CA's make parallel tool but I was snapping all over the place and not getting a good dimension. Then I turned off 'angle snaps' and the dimensions magically worked.

I know it's a bit weird to post an unsolicited tip and especially one that perhaps most users already know but I'd thought I'd throw this out there as this has always frustrated me and may help someone else.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Hi Larry:

I to have had my "moments" with this very issue ... and have expended far too much time with it on occasions. I think I have even had my struggles with angle snaps turned off. I will working on one of these today so I will have to see how it goes.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

The long and short of it is...get a dim on one of the lines somewhere, even if to another object if you can't get the two lines lines you are after. Then...

1 - select the dimension
    2 - select the MAKE PARALLEL/PERPENDICULAR tool
    3 - Select one of the lines to make the dim perp with the line and you can now snap the other end to the other line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim parr.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	50961  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com