Porch overhang with post, beams, and decking.

I'm trying to finish an existing drawing for clients, and am having trouble rendering the back of the house.

This is the existing floor plan, and there are two overhangs: one on the right side over the entry door, but the bigger problem is on the left near the garage. I drew exterior walls out to get the roof planes where I needed them and just deleted them.

What I'm trying to eventually render is the post, beams, and patio in these pics (minus the garbage).

How do I do the post and beams with the patio extending beyond a "room" definition?

Also - my eventual objective is to lock in the existing house structure/roof planes and work on the garage with different roof lines.

Any help is appreciated.
    Chief: Version X4 on Windows7

You could use polyline solids, soffits, slabs, ceiling beams, posts, railings with only posts and to beams ..... lots of options
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curt is right. If you still can't get it to work, email me and maybe I can help you online. Not tonight though. I have a User's meeting.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Instead of deleting the wall at the porch change it to "porch post and beam" and adjust the distance for the post. This way you will not lose your floor under the roof. Rename the space "porch" for any default values the program has for porch. Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by rgwhite View Post
    Instead of deleting the wall at the porch change it to "porch post and beam" and adjust the distance for the post. This way you will not lose your floor under the roof. Rename the space "porch" for any default values the program has for porch. Does this help?
    Yea - that helped a lot. I changed the wall to a post and beam rail, and that worked pretty slick. The roof also rebuilt correctly with the post and beam method. Super thanks!

For the deck that extends beyond the room perimeter I made the deck a polyline solid and pulled it out into shape. It still needs a lot of adjustments but seems to work ok. Is this the right approach to it?
    Chief: Version X4 on Windows7

Use similar procedures for your deck ... just make sure your settings (structure tab) are for a roof over it. If the floor of the deck is less than 30" above grade, the IRC doesn't require a guard rail (railing) to prevent falls. If you won't have a guard rail, just make your settings so that you have the posts building to the ceiling or a beam as before with the porch, which by default has a concrete slab floor. The only thing bad about using the CA post-to-beam feature is that I "think" you're stuck using a 4 x 8 (?) beam. I don't recommend using a polyline solid for a deck as you may want to show the deck floor framing somewhere in your CD's .... unless for some reason it is not required.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard