Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chief Architect or Home Designer Pro?

I was looking into software purchasing, but need some input from someone who has an in depth knowledge of the products.

So a little about me...was in architecture working for firms in So. Ca. for about 17 years, was a CAD Manager at my last office using ADT 2006. This was painfully complex and customizable, but it was AutoCAD, so it was "industry compatible". I'm technically savvy and know what it takes to put a good set of plans together. Fast forward, I've been mostly out of the industry for the last three years, and moved to Colorado. I have a contractor friend whom I've been doing CAD work for, but the ADT 2006 I've used is not cutting the mustard for 3D visualization.. or sections.. or elevations.. or... or.. If you have any experience with AutoCad, you know my frustrations with drawing things multiple times and changing multiple times to produce drawings.

My friend (the contractor) told me about Chief Architect, and my immediate response was, to direct him more towards either Revit or Archicad (my preference), since I had heard very little about CA. After a little more in depth review, I have come to appreciate CA for what it is, and man, the potential for saving time... along with pretty good 3D rendering abilities. In review of a website, I noticed that Home Designer Pro (HDP) has bi-directional support with Chief Architect. That peeked my curiosity, and so I did a little research on HDP...

Now, for the real questions:

I know that I cannot expect CA results for less than 1/4 the cost, but since budget is a large factor here, what exactly are the limitations of HDP in comparison to CA? I see it's compatible with CA (files can be shared between the programs), and that Chief is offiering upgrade credit, so I'm not sure where I could go wrong? I would really appreciate some some insight on these and any other differences. I also feel that the layout and philosophy behind the programs must be similar and therefore not be a waste of my time when we can afford to upgrade to CA. Is what I'm thinking correct? Are icons the same? Layout? I am aware of sheet size limits (18x24 if I remember correctly), what other limitations are there? I have a current client that needs 3D visualization "on the fly", and I'm thinking this is a good starting point, but just need some input from those in the "know". Then when funds become available, I can purchase the full CA and be able to bring my files forward with me! One other thing...are there any licensing issues with using the HDP as a professional? I'm not really doing much work, but I have done a couple of projects per year for the last 2 years.

Any help you can provide or enlighten me on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If this is your business as it is mine, I do not like limitations, go CA, costs more but I am sure you will make up the cost difference post haste.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

OK, I agree, but I can get my client to spring for the 500 bucks (I'm flat broke), but I'm just getting started here, and based on the videos on HDP website, it will get things going until I can purchase the full CA product, while protecting the investment $, the project work, and the training time (potentially) if all what I'm assuming is true. Do you have any experience with HDP, to give me a more informed opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by scoeng View Post
    OK, I agree, but I can get my client to spring for the 500 bucks (I'm flat broke), but I'm just getting started here, and based on the videos on HDP website, it will get things going until I can purchase the full CA product, while protecting the investment $, the project work, and the training time (potentially) if all what I'm assuming is true. Do you have any experience with HDP, to give me a more informed opinion?
    No experience with HDP......... I think if you go to the CA website they probably have a matrix showing the differences in the products.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

By the way...thank you for your prompt replies... the matrixes are for CA lines, and Home Designer Enthusiasts separately, but they do not cross over, unfortunately. I'm going to take a more in-depth look at them both by downloading the trial versions also.

PRO could be a way to get started and the upgrade path is an easy one

fully compatible with Chief Premier

use PRO till you run into its limits and then upgrade

look at the comparison chart on the HD website and then the comparison chart on the Chief website

you will have to manually compare PRO versus Chief

then contact CA's customer service and discuss your needs

PRO does have manual roof tools and manual cabinet tools
    may be some limitations over chief

PRO is limited to a 1 page layout
    you can create many individual pages then use a PDF utility to save as PDF's and then combine as one PDF

essentially PRO has 25% of Chief's features for 25% of the cost

if it was my business I would buy chief....

but PRO makes a good starting place

I think PRO is mis-named it should be called HD Master or HD Deluxe

calling it PRO is probably costing CA sales on Chief Premier

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Just about anything you can do with Chief, you can do with Pro, it just takes more patience and steps to do.

Pro has no ray-tracing ability as Chief does, Pro's print layout is similar to Chief but takes more steps (a layout file for each page you intend to print), you have fewer choices in terms of custom-made objects created within Pro as opposed to Chief (these can be made in Google Sketch Up and then imported into Pro).
    Fewer choices as to types of railing newels-balusters, things like that.

Once you get comfortable with Pro you will much more appreciate what Chief Premiere offers.

The software does not "do" anything really unless you make it do so but it is a great tool in the hands of someone who is intent on learning and using it, Home Designer Pro or Chief Premiere.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thanks Lew and David, I appreciate your input. Ray tracing is not a high priority right now, but in the future...quite possibly. Sounds like HDP will work for now with my budget constraints, but I definitely envision purchasing Premier in the future. I'll finish up some more research and review, but the beautiful thing here is that even if I have to live with HDP and it's limitations for now, Chief Architect is really awesome for being willing to apply the credit toward the more advanced software. That alone is doing more IMO than I ever experienced the big "A" company ever doing. The only downside to Premier software I'm seeing is being limited in its capability of commercial projects...but that's a known issue going in, so no surprises there, and the cost is easier to overcome than Revit Architecture (~$5,500) and ArchiCAD (~$4,300).

Thanks again for your help.

I just upgraded from PRO to X4, here is a link to the matrix, which I received in an email about upgrade options.

I'm sure you will find this usefull.

http://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pd...ix-hdp2012.pdf

Jim

Thanks Jim! That is exactly what I wanted...and there I was copy pasting into my spreadsheet trying to format and figure all this out on my own...this will save me alot of time in and of itself!!!

Scott

Jim:

thanks for posting the PRO versus Chief comparison chart

CA used to do this and then they stopped

I've bemoaned this many times so maybe they heard me

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Having reviewed the comparison chart, I observe the following:

1. HDP doesn't have the ability to create your own 3D Symbols
    2. HDP doesn't have PLines
    3. HDP has no materials lists or material takeoff abilities
    4. Many other shortcomings.

While the above may seem minor to you, I can assure you that they are extremely important parts of the software.

Chief Architect Lite might be a better choice, but it also has some glaring limitations.

If you're going to use the software to earn a living, Chief Architect Premier and a good computer are going to be investments that you need to make. Don't by a saw with a dull blade because you will spend more time and money trying to cut the board than it's worth. You will save the difference in just one or two jobs and be much happier if the tools are up to the job.

If you have to get a small business loan to afford it - do so.

HDP has no materials lists or material takeoff abilities
    Joe,

Actually all Home Designer titles and versions have the same "Materials List" tools as does Chief Premiere.

What is mainly missing are some of the tools to customize and edit the Materials List but Home Designer Pro and Chief Premiere are quite similar in terms of Materials List abilities, options and tools.

I recently finished a large Apartment complex project where my client has Home Designer Pro and I worked the file in Chief Premiere and the Materials List was vital for this client to use.
    I exhaustively checked and double-checked the plan file in both Pro and Chief and got precisely the same results in both (client very happy!).

It was one of the few times that I have had a client who wanted a "perfect" model so as to have an accurate Materials List ( I really did not know what to expect since a model that is an exact duplicate of how the structure will be built in the field in every detail relative to its foundation Engineering, Framing, electrical, cabinets-I mean everything is quite a horse of a different color from something you whip together for CD's or renderings alone).

Chief Inc (and me) came through with flying colors!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I started with the HD series and quickly moved up the ladder to Premier.

One of the biggest issues I personally found was the lack of being able to create new layers. In HDP you are stuck with the ones they give you.

Obviously, many things are easier to do in Chief then HDP, but most, if not all, can be done in HDP.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor

Scott,
    If you are using the program professionally, I would highly recommend the full version, which I would probably do for just about any CAD program. I don't want to steer you away from CA, but if money is a serious obstacle, have you looked into the Archicad Pay-Per-Use program or the rental program? These will get you into the professional-level BIM game for potentially even less money than the HDP. This is a business model that I think Chief Architect should consider, too.) And if you are REALLY strapped for cash and most of your work is 3D, you might even consider working just in SketchUp for now. Wouldn't be great for 2D stuff, but combined with one of the free AutoCAD clones, could get you there until you are financially able to swing Chief Premier.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com