"floor under this room" deselected automatically with open below rooms...

When I take a room that I have designed for a stairwell and select the open below it deselects the "floor under this room" button. I don't remember it doing this before. I also don't know where to set the defaults for this room type. Any ideas?
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

I'm not sure if you see this as a problem, but this is typical behavior and should be desired. In order to have a room open below, there logically needs to be no floor platform. As far as setting defaults for room types, Chief has yet to allow us this luxury. Or the luxury of making new room types.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

An "Open Below" room has no floor, so your observation is "true" in that in past versions, this action was "assumed to occur" as opposed to stated in the dialog as it is now but was true then for this type of situation as it is now.
    It is a refinement of the Room Dialog only and not really a "change".

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

You are correct, we don't want a floor below. But . . go in and select the floor and the floor doesn't show up. It's still open below. I went back and tried the same sample in X3 and oddly (or not so oddly) everything reacted the same. The floor below was deselected (never paid attention to this before) as it is in X4. My problem is that now windows base their heights from the floor, but since there is no floor they drop to stem wall height. They didn't do this in x3. They based off of the floor height designated. I show this all in the video.

There is something different happening in X4 and it's just something I guess I will have to get used to, unless it's a bug and I will report it. I just don't know if it's a bug, or just a quirk.

When selecting open to below, from now on, I will select floor below as it doesn't change anything in the structure and then my windows will stay where they should be.

www.i4homedesign.ca/Charlie/floor below.wmv
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Charlie, your video was very interesting and enlightning. I remember Wendy was complaining about the windows dropping down when OPEN TO BELOW was selected. I had not experienced this behavior when I read her complaint. I have since started noticing this unwanted behavior and I think you have stumbled on the reason. I do not know how to respond to your query, but I think I will look into this and try to understand the behavior. Bottom line is if I select OPEN TO BELOW, I do not want the windows to drop down.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I just checked it out, thank Charlie! As you said the key is to check FLOOR UNDER THIS ROOM to keep the header hts at the same elevation.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

yes .. .but why. you didn't have to do this in X3.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

It would appear that this "little fix" in X4 has caused an unexpected and unwanted result. Evidently if you go into the room dbx and change it to "Floor Below" then the windows will be relative to the floor level.

IMO, Chief should change the default condition so that it's compatible with the behavior of prior versions (or make it an option in the room defaults for "Open Below") But of course we don't have access to those defaults

I find it very annoying when opening a previous version of a plan and find that all windows in the open to below rooms have dropped. I have to go into the rooms and select floor below.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    I find it very annoying when opening a previous version of a plan and find that all windows in the open to below rooms have dropped. I have to go into the rooms and select floor below.
    This is called a software change that "broke" something that was previously working. It's something that should never happen.