Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mind of Its Own

Just getting back into using Chief after a bit of time off and once again I am a bit disappointed.

Using the Deck tools for a reasonably simple (square with chamfered corners) deck and the software seems to have a mind of its own.

I have invested several hours of playing with this and there is nothing more to say than that I would recommend that Chief turn of the user I/F for deck creation as it simply does not work.

After creating a deck, I cannot turn off the auto create!

Please Chief folks, where REALLY are the controls to this function?

I can alter the deck and its support system till I am blue in the face as long as I only do zoom functions - even when I have everything turned OFF - no check boxes at all...

But the second I even ask for a "fit all in window" - the software deletes everything and recreates everything. And the only thing in this model is several walls with windows and doors, along two sides, some terrain and a few pieces of outdoor furniture to achieve the overall view and size.

The only way I can create usable docs for applying for permits is to "Print Image" - and I can probably sketch this simple deck faster by hand...

PLEASE - a fix worthy of the professional level of the software...???

Unless I am missing something very obvious - and then I will gladly offer a professional apology...

Ralph

BTW - would be happy to provide both the pdfs I am having to use for the permits for comparison and illustration but each one of them is larger than the file limits so...

Ralph:

try MENU - DEFAULTS - ROOMS - DECK ROOM

under DECK tab turn off "AUTO DECK FRAMING"

you can also select the deck and open the room dbx and turn it off
    under the deck tab

I don't understand why CA has the deck framing separate from all the other framing defaults ???

In CA's defense I will say that only using the software occassionaly can cause frustration
    there is a learning curve (I still have a long ways to go) and it must be climbed
    there are no shortcuts or instant elevators to the top

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I dont see what version he is using, it makes a difference.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

it does for sure

I use to post and ask that question
    but after awhile I was told that was annoying to forum users

it was suggested that we assume they have the latest version
    until they tell us otherwise

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I don't know how anyone can answer the question without that info.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

my reply is for X4

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

As long as we're talking about this. Can we please get Octagonal Deck Framing to Frame similar to an Octagonal Roof? Or at least an option to do that.

Gazebo Floors for example are usually done that way - particularly when the deck is going to be done as perimeter boards all the way to the center. I just built one last summer and that was the best way to do it.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Still NO Cigar...

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Ralph:

try MENU - DEFAULTS - ROOMS - DECK ROOM

under DECK tab turn off "AUTO DECK FRAMING"

you can also select the deck and open the room dbx and turn it off
    under the deck tab

I don't understand why CA has the deck framing separate from all the other framing defaults ???

In CA's defense I will say that only using the software occassionaly can cause frustration
    there is a learning curve (I still have a long ways to go) and it must be climbed
    there are no shortcuts or instant elevators to the top

Lew
    Hey Lew,

Thanks for responding but when I said that I had spent several hours on trouble shooting I was not kidding. I have looked everywhere to try to turn this thing off and no matter how many check boxes I clear or combos I try - it still ignores and blows away all my work... (and billable hours)...

That setting that you suggest has been off since I started troubleshooting. It seems that if someone can turn this thing off, they must have a specific combo of all the settings that succeeds and I have not yet found that. Any time I do something to the structure of the deck that changes the exterior in any way (even when the change is not related to my manual changes) - the software elects to rebuild everything and I loose all my changes... Really very productive... I might even accept that is recommeds something and asks for approval - but don't blow away all my work!!!! BTW - I do design well above "Code" so that things last and the software seems to not agree with that philosophy.

Your comment concerning a "training curve" is very obvious and has been for several years. I have fought with Chief multiple times and all they will say is "you need more training" and then resolve the issue one or two costly revs later... I have considerable investment in this thing and "switching costs" are holding me here but every time I try to create something that is not "within Chief's concept of what is desirable" - we are beck to this forum and "more training". I am ready to post in several other places about what it "really" takes to make this stuff useful...

FYI - if you are interested... I designed a home for my Brother several years back and I needed an opening in two walls as he had a second floor that we wanted to treat as a pass through. The software would not allow so I had to fake it with windows and then make multiple manual adjusts on material lists, details and sections and work a manual roof as the software back then did not like the interior "fake window"... Now after paying for a several new revision (and all that lost time) - I understand that this function is now available. Paid for by my hours of loss...

Sorry to be grousing as I really like some of the features but as a designer of 30+ years and a former product manager for a "real CAD" system that is used to manufacture aircraft, I really thought that things might be better by now. But it seems that Chief''s approach is if you don't like what we produce and don't want to invest in lots of training and work arounds, then tough luck - go elsewhere...

If you post the plan I will try and help.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thanks for the offer - Plan attached

Hey Dshall,

Thanks for the offer to help.

Ralph
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry to be grousing as I really like some of the features but as a designer of 30+ years and a former product manager for a "real CAD" system that is used to manufacture aircraft, I really thought that things might be better by now. But it seems that Chief''s approach is if you don't like what we produce and don't want to invest in lots of training and work arounds, then tough luck - go elsewhere...

Ralph:

I have chewed on CA's butt many times

but I don't see this attitude from them at all

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Here is a link to the video.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....872#post440872

I had no problems turning off the deck framing.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Just getting back into using Chief after a bit of time off

Ralph:

this is why I mentioned the "learning curve"

if you don't use it - you lose it

I had spent several hours on trouble shooting I was not kidding

maybe so

but we have no idea what you have tried - or not tried

I too get frustrated with chief
    but I always assume it is "user error" until the issue can be replicated by others on this forum

then I report it as a "bug" to CA's tech support

ranting about issues here "feels good" but you need to send the issues to CA as they don't read all of the threads

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

And the drum roll please...........So Ralph, did you watch Scott's video and does it relate to your issue?
    Looks like no problem with the deck settings for Scott.

I don't think his ability to control the auto deck framing function has anything to do with the fact that he's using the X-5 Beta version?

Were you able to resolve your situation?-BB
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 07-07-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: punk chew ashun
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz View Post
    And the drum roll please...........So Ralph, did you watch Scott's video and does it relate to your issue?
    Looks like no problem with the deck settings for Scott.

I don't think his ability to control the auto deck framing function has anything to do with the fact that he's using the X-5 Beta version?

Were you able to resolve your situation?-BB
    It works just as well in X4..... I think......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX