Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am still not really sure that I understand what the problem is.

Your wall is blue. Your wall covering is also blue. Is that what you wanted?

The only real difference I can see between the standard render view and the vector view is that we don't draw edge lines in standard render views. This means that you can't actually tell that you have a wall covering in a render view because it is the same color as the wall. If you want to see the wall covering in a render view, then you need to make it a different material then the wall.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post

The only real difference I can see between the standard render view and the vector view is that we don't draw edge lines in standard render views. This means that you can't actually tell that you have a wall covering in a render view because it is the same color as the wall. If you want to see the wall covering in a render view, then you need to make it a different material then the wall.
    You are correct Dermot, I did not understand what the problem was either.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    It worked and here is a link to the video

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....411#post418411

Sorry, but it says that i don't have permissions to view that page? I apologize for being such a pain, but i'm very new to this.

Yes, i wanted the wall to be blue. The problem is that i can't see its color in standard view. So are you saying i should change the material from drywall?

Quote Originally Posted by cjmark View Post
    Sorry, but it says that i don't have permissions to view that page? I apologize for being such a pain, but i'm very new to this.
    The video is in the chat room, are you not an ssa member?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

No, i don't have ssa.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmark View Post
    No, i don't have ssa.
    Maybe you could post a standard pic and a vector pic and I can figure it out. Bottom line, I saw nothing wrong with what you posted. If you enrol in ssa there are numerous videos you will have access to that could help you better understand the program.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Maybe you could post a standard pic and a vector pic and I can figure it out. Bottom line, I saw nothing wrong with what you posted. If you enrol in ssa there are numerous videos you will have access to that could help you better understand the program.

Am i explaining what i'm talking about okay? I've included pictures from the project i'm working on. As you can see, in the standard render view you can't see the paint color, only what looks to be drywall. However, it is viewable in the vector view. My question is how can i make it visible in standard also? I included the materials tab too, just in case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standard.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	50511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	50512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	materials.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	50513  

CJ,

To summarize what the problem is:

1. You have a Paint Color "Wall Covering" Stripe that has no Texture.
    2. Only "Textures" show in Render Views and you need to edit the PLan Material so that you get the same color in the Texture as in the Pattern.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 11-16-2011 at 08:54 PM.

The pictures you have posted above do not seem to match the example.plan that you posted.

In the example plan, I get the same blue walls and same blue wall covering in the render view as I do in a vector view. See pictures below. If you are not getting these results with your example plan, then there may be a problem with your computer or you may have changed something in your preferences that might affect this. I really don't know because this would be very unusual and I am just making wild guesses. The only normal reason I can think of where your render view and vector view are different materials are because your material is using a texture in the render view that is a different color then the color used in vector views.

If you are getting the same results in your example plan that I am showing below, then I think the problem is that you are not understanding how materials work in Chief (especially with respect to walls, rooms, and wall coverings). This is not a big surprise because this is an area of confusion for lots of people.

Basically, there should be no reason to create a wall covering that is the same color as your walls. Wall coverings are very useful if you want to create a striped region of a different material on a wall (like for a wall paper border) or to make the top half of the wall a different material then the lower half (like when you have a chair rail with a different color above and below). The wall covering tool is really not the best way to change the wall material for a single wall or for the entire room.

I would highly encourage you to upgrade to X4 and get SSA. It's not that you really need all of the new features in X4 but I think you would greatly benefit from having access to the training videos and tech support that come with SSA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall covering vector.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	50515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall covering render.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	50516  
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

The pictures you have posted above do not seem to match the example.plan that you posted.
    The pictures don't match the plan because i deleted the example plan after i posted it here, sorry about that.

In the example plan, I get the same blue walls and same blue wall covering in the render view as I do in a vector view. See pictures below. If you are not getting these results with your example plan, then there may be a problem with your computer or you may have changed something in your preferences that might affect this. I really don't know because this would be very unusual and I am just making wild guesses. The only normal reason I can think of where your render view and vector view are different materials are because your material is using a texture in the render view that is a different color then the color used in vector views.
    That's the problem. In vector view i can see the wall color, but in 3d i can not. It does not look the same as it does in your screenshots, or as it did in the video for that matter.

I was thinking maybe the problem is because i can't get the wall coverings to have a texture when i use a color, but in the video they were showing with no texture.

Basically, there should be no reason to create a wall covering that is the same color as your walls. Wall coverings are very useful if you want to create a striped region of a different material on a wall (like for a wall paper border) or to make the top half of the wall a different material then the lower half (like when you have a chair rail with a different color above and below). The wall covering tool is really not the best way to change the wall material for a single wall or for the entire room.
    The wall covering in that plan was actually a mistake. I couldn't see my painted walls in the standard view so i attempted to make a wall covering to see if that would show up, but i forgot to change the height of it. However, it doesn't really matter because that didn't show up either.

I created a new plan with just one room and tried to paint the walls. The color showed up on the walls in vector, but not standard. I then tried to add a wall covering of the color (i fixed the height this time so it wasn't just a small section in the middle), but that also only showed up in vector.

So at this point i'm wondering if it's possibly my preferences. Can you switch on and off the ability to see wall colors in 3d via your preferences?

I was going to include another plan and some more screen shots, but the keyboard to my desktop isn't working correctly so it will have to wait till later.

I'm sorry for being such a pest.

CJ,

I am having a little trouble with your problem. I created a building with 4 walls, then displayed a "Floor Overview" and then selected the "Spray Can" and picked "Color-Bronze" from the Library. I picked a wall with the Paint Roller, resulting in all the walls in the room being painted that color.

The color shows in both Vector and Render Views.

It could be a problem with your Video Card or Video Driver.

Being able to see the Chatroom has nothing to do with having SSA.

The chatroom can not be viewed by unregistered users or users who have recently registered. New users who post a few legitimate (not spam) posts or go a few days without posting spam, will be given rights to see the hidden forums.

cjmark you should now be able to see posts in the Chatroom.
    Brian Beck
    Software Test Engineer
    Chieftalk Admin
    Chief Architect, Inc.

changing color on single wall in room

Come on guys & galls. Is there not a simple way to change the color or material on a single wall in a room?

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Come on guys & galls. Is there not a simple way to change the color or material on a single wall in a room?
    Yep, probably about 5 different ways to do it. I bet if you do a search you might find some of the methods.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX