Hybrid View

This comparison is based on the time I switched - 4+ years ago. I found I was able to use more Chief features "Out of the box" than with Archicad. I never got to the point with Archicad where I was able to keep the elevations and sections live through he whole process. We always seemed to revert to CAD elevations and sections. Partially because it was cumbersome to control the lineweights and hatches. There were more settings to fiddle with in Archicad such as window trim (that appeared in plan or not depending on your selection), settings for how plans looked at different scales (ie less detail for 1/8" scale than 1/2" scale.) I found in general that the automated parts of Chief performed as I expected them to. Roof's are simple in Chief. Probably more, but my fingers are tired of typing.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    This comparison is based on the time I switched - 4+ years ago. I found I was able to use more Chief features "Out of the box" than with Archicad. I never got to the point with Archicad where I was able to keep the elevations and sections live through he whole process. We always seemed to revert to CAD elevations and sections. Partially because it was cumbersome to control the lineweights and hatches. There were more settings to fiddle with in Archicad such as window trim (that appeared in plan or not depending on your selection), settings for how plans looked at different scales (ie less detail for 1/8" scale than 1/2" scale.) I found in general that the automated parts of Chief performed as I expected them to. Roof's are simple in Chief. Probably more, but my fingers are tired of typing.
    Kevin Setting Defaults in AC is a bigger pain than in CA but you can do more with AC.

Setting Pen weights that correspond with elements is a nightmare in AC as windows and doors have different pens for different windows and door parts.

CA is simpler since all windows and door parts are not divided up.

AC is harder to learn than CA but I like both for different reasons.

CA X4 with its new mono slabs options is great time saver for me when it comes to drawing cross sections for slab houses, well done CA.

For me AC15 is way out of my domain with its shell tool and it has now become way too complicated and long winded especialy when it comes to freer form modeling.

So if you are doing houses that dont have fancy free form components, stick to Chief or you will get confused IMO
    Last edited by Justice; 11-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.