Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4

    Chief vs ArchiCAD

    What are some good sales points with Chief vs ArchiCad?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland Maine
    Posts
    1,041
    This comparison is based on the time I switched - 4+ years ago. I found I was able to use more Chief features "Out of the box" than with Archicad. I never got to the point with Archicad where I was able to keep the elevations and sections live through he whole process. We always seemed to revert to CAD elevations and sections. Partially because it was cumbersome to control the lineweights and hatches. There were more settings to fiddle with in Archicad such as window trim (that appeared in plan or not depending on your selection), settings for how plans looked at different scales (ie less detail for 1/8" scale than 1/2" scale.) I found in general that the automated parts of Chief performed as I expected them to. Roof's are simple in Chief. Probably more, but my fingers are tired of typing.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    5
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Why is this question here in this forum?
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    799
    Good call Richard. I wondered the same thing.
    Michael

    Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,117
    Michael and Richard,

    Though I wondered as you do about the offered question, it is still a valid one. If I wanted a studied opinion from someone who has and uses or used both ArchiCAD and Chief, this is where I would ask as well as the ArchiCAD forum.
    Having an interest or curiosity is not a crime.

    DJP

    David Jefferson Potter

    Chief Architect Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

    Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Posts
    5,312
    I think the question was about the location of it in Curriculum Ideas, not the question itself.

    Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,117
    Bryce,

    I would assume that L. Lucas is a teacher, a student or it was miss-located by the OP, in any case it seems an OK question to ask of Chief Users and as a fishing-expedition for possible users of both apps, like Kevin.

    DJP

    David Jefferson Potter

    Chief Architect Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

    Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Posts
    5,312
    Yes, my point was I don't think either Richard or Michael was questioning the validity of talking about another software here on Chieftalk, only that Curriculum Ideas was an odd place for it.

    Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by llucas View Post
    What are some good sales points with Chief vs ArchiCad?
    First of all one program is designed and aimed at Housing alla CA and AC is aimed at Commercial Buildings or Houses that have a very commercial influence.

    So its not a fair comparison IMO.
    Last edited by Justice; 11-16-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

    1999 V6 to X5 2012.

    Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    This comparison is based on the time I switched - 4+ years ago. I found I was able to use more Chief features "Out of the box" than with Archicad. I never got to the point with Archicad where I was able to keep the elevations and sections live through he whole process. We always seemed to revert to CAD elevations and sections. Partially because it was cumbersome to control the lineweights and hatches. There were more settings to fiddle with in Archicad such as window trim (that appeared in plan or not depending on your selection), settings for how plans looked at different scales (ie less detail for 1/8" scale than 1/2" scale.) I found in general that the automated parts of Chief performed as I expected them to. Roof's are simple in Chief. Probably more, but my fingers are tired of typing.
    Kevin Setting Defaults in AC is a bigger pain than in CA but you can do more with AC.

    Setting Pen weights that correspond with elements is a nightmare in AC as windows and doors have different pens for different windows and door parts.

    CA is simpler since all windows and door parts are not divided up.

    AC is harder to learn than CA but I like both for different reasons.

    CA X4 with its new mono slabs options is great time saver for me when it comes to drawing cross sections for slab houses, well done CA.

    For me AC15 is way out of my domain with its shell tool and it has now become way too complicated and long winded especialy when it comes to freer form modeling.

    So if you are doing houses that dont have fancy free form components, stick to Chief or you will get confused IMO
    Last edited by Justice; 11-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

    1999 V6 to X5 2012.

    Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    Yes, my point was I don't think either Richard or Michael was questioning the validity of talking about another software here on Chieftalk, only that Curriculum Ideas was an odd place for it.
    Yep, that's correct. Just an odd place on the forum to post it.
    Michael

    Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    Why is this question here in this forum?
    I think it's reasonable...

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • Login or Register to post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •