Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Edward:

The Quadro's are suppose to be good for CAD systems like Autocad etc

Chief uses OpenGL

a few years ago CA started to recommend the Quadro's and I was thinking of getting one and then CA changed their recommendation

try selling the Quadro on EBAY

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
    I'll have to wait till later this summer for a new computer with new CPU's to help with the Raytracing.

Looks like I pissed away a lot of money on these Quadro cards. The Geforce is much better bang for the buck.
    Well, don't piss away more money, put the card money toward your new computer. Then get a beast!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

In general I would recommend looking at reviews of the video card you are considering that compare the performance with the high end cards.

It is really hard to tell by the name of the card how it performs. Even the price is not always a good indicator, although in general the faster cards cost more.

Quadro cards are marketed as CAD cards and usually enjoy an excellent bump in price for a modest boost in performance. I don't like the price performance of the Quadro cards in general, but some have had really good luck with them.

We have some Dell laptops internally that use Quadro cards that are quite good and some others that are not so good so our luck on them has been mixed.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    Max, Why do you need a separate machines for web use vs. Cad?
    Gary, the key word here is "need" as opposed to prefer. I simply got very tired of the usual Anti-virus, spam, male-ware, Trojans, subscriptions, and everything else the industry has insisted we need in order to be "safe" from hackers and their ilk. All of this security nonsense can degrade a system's performance as you very well know.

So...My Chief machine has nothing. Literally. Just runs my apps and, never has a problem. It never needs updates either (turned off).

My Web machine handles the murky world of the bug and virus infested web! I don't care what happens and, interestingly enough nothing really ever has of any consequence. I did recently start using Microsoft's Anti virus software as it's free and really has no effect on performance.

Anyway, that's my preference.

Edited for added content:
    One thing to watch for soon if it isn't already happening. That's the tendency for software companies to "require" a web connection while using their software. I am seeing the tendency of the industry to move towards the so-called cloud computing platform where everything we run is located on the web rather than loaded on our personal machines. We will then no longer "own" anything we use and will be completely dependent on the web. Should be interesting to see how this trend will affect internet provider rates...

Windows Server Software testing:

Ozgur, I pretty much stopped any further testing on the server software. I cannot exactly describe what the problem was that started surfacing once I got everything installed. It seemed to be related to the drive reading / writing but still unclear. Maybe when I have more time to really get into more of the system settings I can clear this up. Really don't know at this time.

Will close this for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Gary, the key word here is "need" as opposed to prefer. I simply got very tired of the usual Anti-virus, spam, male-ware, Trojans, subscriptions, and everything else the industry has insisted we need in order to be "safe" from hackers and their ilk. All of this security nonsense can degrade a system's performance as you very well know.

So...My Chief machine has nothing. Literally. Just runs my apps and, never has a problem. It never needs updates either (turned off).

My Web machine handles the murky world of the bug and virus infested web! I don't care what happens and, interestingly enough nothing really ever has of any consequence. I did recently start using Microsoft's Anti virus software as it's free and really has no effect on performance.

Anyway, that's my preference.
    Max, Many small businesses are using AVG free (recommended by IT guys). It does the job and it doesn't bother you unless you tell it to. They do ask you to upgrade to the paid version, just say no. Give it a shot!
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Gary, I appreciate your input. But no, I will always maintain two separate computers, one for the web and one for my applications. It works really well for me.

Gary, I appreciate your input. But no, I will always maintain two separate computers, one for the web and one for my applications. It works really well for me.
    That fine, to each there own.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

That's the tendency for software companies to "require" a web connection while using their software. I am seeing the tendency of the industry to move towards the so-called cloud computing platform where everything we run is located on the web rather than loaded on our personal machines. We will then no longer "own" anything we use and will be completely dependent on the web. Should be interesting to see how this trend will affect internet provider rates...
    I believe this trend started for preventing the the illegal usage/pirated versions of the programs. This should have been succesfull, because most software companies have the ability to disable the illegally activated programs via web connection.
    Today software piracy is not a major problem when compared to the last decade. And it's obvious that software companies broadened the mission of web connection. It's much easier to analyze the user behaviour and requirements this way. It's good for selling some extra program options,modules,etc. for example. (A lot of companies do that.) But the problem is you can't control every bytes of the data sent to the software's information center. So you may be right worrying about your privacy.
    Several times it was proven that some big companies gathered and stored personal information of the users. Also hackers can attack your computer by using your software's internet connection gate. So it may be a good idea to use the primary programs on a seperate computer which has no internet access. It's just a choice.
    By the way, i don't think this web traffic will severely affect your internet provider rates.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

I don't think I'd worry about Apps like Chief being located on the Web. In fact, only very simple applications such as an online store or forums like this one work at an acceptable speed in most cases - sometimes even those are too slow depending on the bandwidth and transfer speeds.

The processing power requirements to run any complex app over the internet would be extreme and application speed would decline drastically. It's bad enough just transferring data over the internet even with the best connections. Trying to work with the application remote would be a nightmare. Can you imagine CA having a server capable of running thousands of instances of Chief - one for each user? It's not going to happen - distributed processing is much more efficient.

The Geforce GTX 580 card came this evening. I'll runa few performance tests before, and after, and share my results. The card was $454 from Amazon.

I thought I already had a "beast", Geez, 32 gig ram and dual Xeon processors should be enough. So I'm only upgrading the card now. I need another computer and CA license for a possible new employee this spring, so I'll get them something a little less ""beasty".
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD
    16 gb Corsair Vengence LP ram
    Corsair 750w power
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
    2 Westinghouse 26" monitors

Laptop - Asus G75VW-BBK5
    17.3"
    i7 2.3 ghz w/8 gb
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2 gb

Wow, I only have a GeForce 560M but I don't think my Laptop can use the 580.

What are the specs on that card? $454 seems like a lot to pay for a video card, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
    The Geforce GTX 580 card came this evening. I'll runa few performance tests before, and after, and share my results. The card was $454 from Amazon.

I thought I already had a "beast", Geez, 32 gig ram and dual Xeon processors should be enough. So I'm only upgrading the card now. I need another computer and CA license for a possible new employee this spring, so I'll get them something a little less ""beasty".
    I just bought the GTX 580/"The Perry Special" from Fry's for 395.00, throw in some tax and it was probably $454.00. I guess I like it.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Hay, I paid over $600
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Hay, I paid over $600
    Really? Maybe I have my numbers wrong, I thought I paid what you paid, maybe it was 595 plus tax. Graphics cards are like wives, once you get them you forget the price you paid.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall