Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've just learned to take a deep breath and relax while chief seems to do something too slow for my liking. I lean back on my chair and stretch, clear my mind, and do some deep breathing. It is a good opportunity to clear the stress of the day's work. And if I get really worked up about it, I just hit save, close, and I take 15 minutes and go for a walk. I don't think Chief will ever run as fast as I would like, or that I will ever own a machine that will make this possible. Regardless, Chief is a very powerful program compared to what was available 20-30 years ago. It is like people who are impatient at airports. You are flying across the country in a matter of a day! 300 years ago that trip took a lifetime, and you left home as a newlywed and arrived as a grandfather!
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Nice bit of wisdom there Rod.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

David is right. A "Super Computer" probably runs Unix os or a some super duper os of it's own kind. Not Windows! I see my GTX-570 ranks pretty high on that list. For another 200 skins I could have got the top of the list. I was having computer lockups during renderings with my El-Cheapo video card. Not any longer.
    Jerry Karlovich
    Chief Architect X5
    W7 64 Pro
    Quad/GTX 570/8gb
    Positraction/500hp/NOS/Speed Shifter/Chevy SS
    www.korel.com

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    ...No self-respecting "Super Computer" would have any Windows Operating system on it so your question is moot...
    Sorry, I beg to differ...just a matter of time

http://www.zdnet.com/news/microsoft-...mputers/136241

Another article shows Cray and Microsoft have had a combined solution since 2008.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...rcomputer/1589

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Another article shows Cray and Microsoft have had a combined solution since 2008.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...rcomputer/1589
    That's also what i have heard also. http://www.chieftalk.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=15
    I don't ask this for only Cray super computers, before i purchased my current workstation my computer advisor had told me that the best OS for this configuration was MS Server 2008. However i didn't want to use an OS which i was not familiar with, and wasn't sure if all the programs including Chief i had been been using were compatible with Server 2008. So i decided to use Windows 7.
    This is why i wonder if anybody tried to install and use Chief under MS Server 2008...
    Last edited by portrait; 11-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

Ozgur,
    Now that you mention it, I recall I have access to a free copy of MS server 2008 as a part of a development subscription. I may very well download it and test Chief on that platform.

Max, thanks! That will be great! Please don't forget to inform us.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

Here's my "Mini-Cray"

And yes, the GeForce 590GTX is the fastest I've seen (for now ). Your 280 is pretty dated.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Sorry, I guess none of this answered your real question, as we all focused on the Cray computer. Difference in render for me with shadows off and shadows on - Off=2 seconds, On=5 seconds (3 second difference)
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    NVIDIA ran through numbers like 7000, 8000, 9000 and then switched over to 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500. The 500 series is the latest at the moment.

In answer to your Cray question. The first Cray super computers are slower than your iPad is now. Current technology would be a lot faster than what you have currently, but assuming Chief ran on a super computer, which it doesn't, you could still build models that take a long time.
    Thanks Doug, very clear answer.... here is my computer man's response...

Here’s the main issue: When considering computer performance, you’re only as fast as the slowest component. Since we recently upgraded your RAM, we’re essentially left with the following:

1) The program has to pull data from the hard drive. (Textures, data, etc). Solid state drives are much faster than traditional hard drives. The most noticeable symptom of this would be slow loading times, but theoretically once the file is fully loaded, shouldn’t be much hard drive access.
    2) The CPU performs calculations. Your processor, Core i7-920 is very fast, but there are faster.
    3) The GPU (graphcis card) performs calculations. This is the upgrade you’re considering. I spent a bit of time reading forums/support for CA and it seems that certain views/renders are more CPU intensive whereas others are more GPU intensive.
    4) Software limitations. Certain programs have limitations of exactly how fast they can process information based on the way the code was written. Regardless of the speed of the hardware, sometimes the software simply can’t go any faster. I found this support article from CA regarding things that can cause slowness on larger drawings. http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...?faqNumber=521 One of these items was:

Chief Architect does not recommend reusing plan files by deleting everything out of an existing plan file and renaming it.

It is important to always start new plan or layout files from a template.

Not sure if any of the above suggestions are relevant, but essentially I’m hesitant about recommending an $800 video card without knowing specifically what is causing any of the slowness. It may not even be the graphics card that’s holding you back.

Also, part of the problem with the GTX 590 specifically (aside from very limited supplies)…. The GTX 590 is essentially two cards on one physical board, joined through what is called “SLI” technology. Each of the individual cards is slower than the card that is one step down (the GTX 580) but with two joined together, the performance is greater…IF the program supports it. Not all programs support SLI mode, so even with the fancy dual card, under the hood the software can only make use of one of them. I was unable to find anything on CA support as to whether or not it supports SLI mode. If it doesn’t, you’ll actually get superior performance by using a GTX 580 which is a significant savings.

We definitely would like to get the performance up to snuff for you, just want to be careful that you’re not spending money on an item that isn’t going to provide a good benefit.
    Any additional comments before I spend Lynn's X-Mas money on a computer upgrade?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

Get the 580. My Laptop has a GTX 560M.

BTW, I concur with the "New Plan" for each job. You should consider organizing your Library and putting reusable stuff there rather than dragging all that extra stuff from Plan to Plan.

Scott,

It seems to me that the "SLI" question came up when it was first introduced as an option and the answer I remember from Chief people (Doug, Dermot or the like) was that Chief is not written to take advantage of SLI architecture as some video games are.

DJP

PS: I am appreciative of being reminded of the save-as/reuse of older plan and layout files for future use. I have done this in the past and found it problematic empirically, any apparent time "saved" is lost due to the plan or layout's earlier associations to earlier plan files.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thanks guys, sounds like the 580 is the way to go. Yes, I was a bit confused how sli played into the decision.

As far as tha SAM goes, I have found no problems, I have been using it for over 3 years.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post

As far as tha SAM goes, I have found no problems, I have been using it for over 3 years.
    Are you sure about that? Seems like you may have found a problem but aren't ready to admit it.
    Sometimes it results in something remaining that wasn't intended - some of which could be memory hogs.