Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    That's the tendency for software companies to "require" a web connection while using their software. I am seeing the tendency of the industry to move towards the so-called cloud computing platform where everything we run is located on the web rather than loaded on our personal machines. We will then no longer "own" anything we use and will be completely dependent on the web. Should be interesting to see how this trend will affect internet provider rates...
    I believe this trend started for preventing the the illegal usage/pirated versions of the programs. This should have been succesfull, because most software companies have the ability to disable the illegally activated programs via web connection.
    Today software piracy is not a major problem when compared to the last decade. And it's obvious that software companies broadened the mission of web connection. It's much easier to analyze the user behaviour and requirements this way. It's good for selling some extra program options,modules,etc. for example. (A lot of companies do that.) But the problem is you can't control every bytes of the data sent to the software's information center. So you may be right worrying about your privacy.
    Several times it was proven that some big companies gathered and stored personal information of the users. Also hackers can attack your computer by using your software's internet connection gate. So it may be a good idea to use the primary programs on a seperate computer which has no internet access. It's just a choice.
    By the way, i don't think this web traffic will severely affect your internet provider rates.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos