Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

If I bought a CRAY super computer will CA be faster?

Simple question, I think. If I had a super computer would CA be much faster? Or is the hardware fast enough already that it is CA that is slow? If I had a CRAY super computer could I turn shadows on in render mode and I would not notice a slow down.......
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

renders depend on your video card for ram and probably even the GPU for speed

raytraces depend on the cpu for speed and use PC ram

I suspect a superfast computer and a superfast video card then probably

isn't George using a Cray equivalent

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

renders depend on your video card for ram and probably even the GPU for speed

raytraces depend on the cpu for speed and use PC ram

I suspect a superfast computer and a superfast video card then probably

isn't George using a Cray equivalent

Lew
    So what video card should I get so I experience no slow down. I think my signature specifies my video card, is this a slow video card and is there a much faster video card I should buy.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

I am not up on the latest/greatest video cards etc as I'm not in the market for one and the specs change "daily"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    So what video card should I get so I experience no slow down. I think my signature specifies my video card, is this a slow video card and is there a much faster video card I should buy.
    Probably one of the 500 series with 3GB would be better than what you have.

I've got a NVidea 580M GTX 3GB in my laptop. I often have 2 or 3 render views active at the same time and I use a lot of extra symbols for roofing, etc. I am able to zoom and rotate the views very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Probably one of the 500 series with 3GB would be better than what you have.

I've got a NVidea 580M GTX 3GB in my laptop. I often have 2 or 3 render views active at the same time and I use a lot of extra symbols for roofing, etc. I am able to zoom and rotate the views very fast.
    Thanks Joe, I just got on the Nividea site and noticed this.....Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, do you think this would have a mega increase in performance over what I have now?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Thanks Joe, I just got on the Nividea site and noticed this.....Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, do you think this would have a mega increase in performance over what I have now?
    Probably, but I don't know the specs on the 8800. Your 280 is a bit dated.

I really don't know what I am doing here, I thought the higher the number the better, but maybe the 500 series is the best. Maybe the GTX590.....
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

NVIDIA ran through numbers like 7000, 8000, 9000 and then switched over to 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500. The 500 series is the latest at the moment.

In answer to your Cray question. The first Cray super computers are slower than your iPad is now. Current technology would be a lot faster than what you have currently, but assuming Chief ran on a super computer, which it doesn't, you could still build models that take a long time.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

My three year old computer had the 8800GTX, so now I think that one is pretty dated. Just got a new computer with the GTX590 and loving it. One of the only single cards (actually two-in-one) that will push three monitors natively. Thank you to George for the recommendation, I think it is the card he is currently running too.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

I believe the issue with renderings and video cards had been covered pretty well elsewhere. Ray traces are different, but with renderings, I believe the limitations are with CA and not the video card.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

If I bought a CRAY super computer will CA be faster?
    No self-respecting "Super Computer" would have any Windows Operating system on it so your question is moot.

The size of your Library Browser content is also a factor, how you create (your procedures and habits) your plan and layouts is a factor, yes the character of your PC, its hardware, its cleanliness, its maintenance, other applications you have installed, especially the ones that run "in the background" all add up to "performance".

There is no real "standard" when discussing any program that runs on a Windows PC, there is acceptable and unacceptable, you might say a band of tolerance as opposed to any kind of scientific "standard".

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-10-2011 at 08:09 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

You might find this link useful:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

It ranks video cards and shows current cost.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kumpost View Post
    You might find this link useful:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

It ranks video cards and shows current cost.
    Thanks Larry, I had found that, it really shows how out of date my card is.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

What i know is that the only Microsoft OS which can work with Cray computers is Microsoft Server 2008. Does anybody know if any versions of Chief Architect is compatible with MS Server 2008 (or 2003)?
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos