Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I paint one wall?

Am I able to paint just one wall in a room?

Thanks!

Vanessa

x3

Yes. Have you tried?
    Len Dalton
    v X4
    CA Certified Professional

Yes. If you try to use the material painter tool, it will paint the whole room by default. Instead, you need to open the Wall Specification dialog, go to the Material panel, and change the interior surface material manually. If you already painted the entire room, you may need to open up the Room Specification dialog and set the wall material back to "use default". You may also need to add wall breaks if your wall spans multiple rooms.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Yes I have tried! When I paint one interior wall all of the other walls change too.

Quote Originally Posted by vaneel View Post

Thanks!

Vanessa

x3
    No, not like you think, however there are many other ways to accomplish this and has been discussed before and there are videos.... you can try a search.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by vaneel View Post

Thanks!

Vanessa

x3
    I generally do not use the Paint Tool on Walls because it does the Room, not individual Walls. If I don't mind one color for all walls of the room then I may use the paint tool. You can always go back to the Room dbx and set the finish to "default" if necessary.

One way to handle this is with the "Wall Covering" tab in the Wall dbx - which does the face opposite the main layer (interior face). This tab allows more than one color or material to be used on a wall (horizontal stripes that you can control - set the heights as needed).

If you need to control the colors on each side of an individual wall then the only way is to copy the wall type - creating a new one with the specific colors as finish layers. That's the most comprehensive for interior walls of adjoining rooms which need different colors.

Thank you! I was finally able to do it by making a copy of the wall and adding a wallcovering.

I think you are doing it the hard way. The wall covering is a good tool to use when you don't want to paint the whole wall from top to bottom. Please go back and read my previous post.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    I think you are doing it the hard way. The wall covering is a good tool to use when you don't want to paint the whole wall from top to bottom. Please go back and read my previous post.
    Dermot,

This isn't quite right.

If the wall material is Drywall and you simply change it to "Color Red" then you lose the "Drywall" definition and the "Materials List" will be incorrect. For everything to be right in this case you actually need another layer in the wall definition - ie: "Paint" - or "WallPaper" or .....

IAE, you need to keep the Drywall.

As far as the Wall Covering Tab is concerned - it only does the surface opposite the main layer - which is OK for Exterior Walls but is inadequate for interior walls.

BTW, this is a good reason to consider a "Wall" paint mode. Just allow the Paint Tool to work on a Wall instead of on the Room. It should be an option.

Changing the interior or exterior surface material on a per wall basis works best when you are only concerned with cosmetic appearances. If you need to have all of the materials you are using show up in the materials list, then you should create a new wall type or use the wall covering tool.

The wall covering tool should work fine for either interior or exterior walls. Just be sure to check the appropriate Interior and/or Exterior checkbox for where you want the covering to go.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post

The wall covering tool should work fine for either interior or exterior walls. Just be sure to check the appropriate Interior and/or Exterior checkbox for where you want the covering to go.
    Sorry Dermot, you are right - for some reason I didn't see those check boxes.

One more question - The wall that I was trying to paint goes up into a stairwell. Between the upstairs wall and the downstairs wall there is a white line. I guess this line is part of the ceiling but I would like to get rid of it. Any ideas here?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall stairs pic.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	50410  

It's difficult to know exactly. It could be a ceiling plane or it might be a room molding. Maybe extending the Wall Covering 1" higher might solve it.

I hear what everyone is saying about the Material Painter and the appropriate warnings as to it's use.

BUT...there is a way to use the Material Painter and paint only 1 wall in a room.
    The trick is to temporarily name the room as an external room type (porch, etc), use the Material Painter to paint 1 wall and then rename the room to back to what you want.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD