Hybrid View

Old thread, but still an ongoing time-waster for me.

Using wall definitions and showing wall layers is OK for construction, but I need walls to display differently per layer/annoset. So an estate agent (realtor?) might want to simply see black filled black lines for walls, the local government planning department might want to see simple wall widths and colour scheme (e.g. green = new, red = demolish, grey = existing), the builder might appreciate the visual complexity of layers turned on to help explain what he's got to build/demo, etc, etc. I use hatching, manually edited to show correct colour and thicken the barely visible 1pt angled hatch lines, to make up for this shortfall in my CA.* It's a bore.

I know I can also use a CAD detail of the as built to show demo areas, but I still value being able to fill walls and sections of walls to get my point across depending on who the plan is for - surely the whole point of layers?

*I mean 'my CA' as in how I understand and use CA - if there is a better way of displaying the same wall different ways according to audience needs, I'm all ears.

It seems odd because I can make most things look different ways on different layer sets using layers, but not wall fills. I can switch off wall layers, alter their outline thickness and colour, but that is not what I want visually - I want to change the colour of the whole wall (i.e. fill). Using hatching or CAD boxes is a very basic and time consuming way of doing this. If I could have more advanced hatching - with fill and line default control and control by layer - that would be very useful to me.

I'm guessing my workflow isn't how CA designed the software, but I have spent a long time trying to find/understand better ways.

Hope that makes sense.
    Andy
    London, UK
    X6
    Property Development

xxxxxx
    Dell XPS
    O/S: Windows 7 64bit
    Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
    Memory: 16GB 1600 DDR3
    Screen: Dual 15.6" 1920x1080 and 28" 1920 x 1200
    Graphics: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Coffee: Lavazza