Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moshe is offline Registered User Promoted

Hatch Wall Defaults

Chief X2 question - Where can I alter the default hatching and size that gets put into a wall when I use the hatch wall command?

Select the wall hatching, open the DBX, click on the fill style tab.....
    Rob
    X2,X3,X4,X5
    New Zealand

I am not sure if I stated that clearly enough....I need to alter the definition of the DEFAULT that automatically drops in to the wall when I want to hatch, not to alter the hatch after it has been placed. Was your method to alter it after it has been placed....Chief seems to have an automatic default setting that is an angled hatch with a spacing of 2"....I want to change that default.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
    Chief X2 question - Where can I alter the default hatching and size that gets put into a wall when I use the hatch wall command?
    Moshe
    You will have to hatch all your walls then hold down the control key while in HATCH WALL mode and Marque select your entire plan and open the Hatch Wall dbx and select your preferred fill I think. Just as quick as setting a default.
    In answer to your question, in the Hatch wall dbx but only after you have hatched a wall
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    Intel core 2 duo CPU T7250@2.0 GHz
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT

Moshe,

You are probably better off defining a wall type with its own layers and hatch patterns, then you don't have to hatch any walls.
    Why are you using the Hatch Wall command anyway - I think it is a hang over from very early versions when we couldn't define wall types.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Moshe,

You are probably better off defining a wall type with its own layers and hatch patterns, then you don't have to hatch any walls.
    Why are you using the Hatch Wall command anyway - I think it is a hang over from very early versions when we couldn't define wall types.
    Glenn, I think the wall hatch tool is very useful and I use it all the time in my existing/demo plans and proposed plans for a remodel. How useful it is depends on how you use it.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Just a misunderstanding here, no harm --no foul.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Moshe, as far as I know you cannot edit or change the default hatch for the hatch wall tool.

I am not the "last word" and frankly I have never felt the need to change the default hatch type or size (probably explains why I am not certain).

Your question seems to me to be perfectly straight-forward and understandable but language, as Scott has pointed out is a fragile vehicle sometimes to convey a perfect duplication of the understanding originally intended but it is all we have.

Others have offered work-rounds:

custom wall types where you certainly can control their plan-view appearance, even 2-D CAD fill boxes on custom layers could be used.

I would be quite happy to be "wrong" (it there is a way to alter the hatch pattern).

DJP

PS: since my post above Scott Hall made a video showing how to change the hatch pattern, per wall:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....370#post417370

but this does not work in X2 (it does work as shown in X4) sorry
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I believe that V10 was the last version that you could specify the default hatch scale, but even in that version you couldn't specify the default pattern.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks David!! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post

PS: since my post above Scott Hall made a video showing how to change the hatch pattern, per wall:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....370#post417370

but this does not work in X2 (it does work as shown in X4) sorry
    Works OK in my X2!
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Works OK in my X2!
    That is because you have the Aussie version, remember the louvers, we could never control the size of them until X-4....... CA likes to challenge us Yanks.....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

This wall hatch tool could be very useful especially for alterations (remodels), I had never used it before, now I wish I could change the defaults aswell!!
    Thanks Moshe and Scott!
    Last edited by 5sheds; 11-07-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Rob
    X2,X3,X4,X5
    New Zealand

Old thread, but still an ongoing time-waster for me.

Using wall definitions and showing wall layers is OK for construction, but I need walls to display differently per layer/annoset. So an estate agent (realtor?) might want to simply see black filled black lines for walls, the local government planning department might want to see simple wall widths and colour scheme (e.g. green = new, red = demolish, grey = existing), the builder might appreciate the visual complexity of layers turned on to help explain what he's got to build/demo, etc, etc. I use hatching, manually edited to show correct colour and thicken the barely visible 1pt angled hatch lines, to make up for this shortfall in my CA.* It's a bore.

I know I can also use a CAD detail of the as built to show demo areas, but I still value being able to fill walls and sections of walls to get my point across depending on who the plan is for - surely the whole point of layers?

*I mean 'my CA' as in how I understand and use CA - if there is a better way of displaying the same wall different ways according to audience needs, I'm all ears.

It seems odd because I can make most things look different ways on different layer sets using layers, but not wall fills. I can switch off wall layers, alter their outline thickness and colour, but that is not what I want visually - I want to change the colour of the whole wall (i.e. fill). Using hatching or CAD boxes is a very basic and time consuming way of doing this. If I could have more advanced hatching - with fill and line default control and control by layer - that would be very useful to me.

I'm guessing my workflow isn't how CA designed the software, but I have spent a long time trying to find/understand better ways.

Hope that makes sense.
    Andy
    London, UK
    X6
    Property Development

xxxxxx
    Dell XPS
    O/S: Windows 7 64bit
    Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
    Memory: 16GB 1600 DDR3
    Screen: Dual 15.6" 1920x1080 and 28" 1920 x 1200
    Graphics: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Coffee: Lavazza

I use a seperate wall type for my demo walls with appropriate hatching. Also wall type for existing and new, this makes things pretty clear on the con-docs
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors