Stair Railings and Arcways Catalog

I have been attempting to build a stair case railing that sits on top of a wall but has a newel post on the floor. I have watched Steve Halls videos up to 10 and cannot seem to get the railing to work right in X4. I get them to appear and they look great but when I attempt to resize them to fit the Newels etc... they lose the angle and go wild. I must be the only one experiencing this?

So I am attempting to use the Archway catalog. But both the railing and the shoe rails are come in wrong will not go follow a wall angle. I have attemped to solve this on my own and am very frustated.

Anybody got any help or advise?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rail Pict.PNG 
Views:	160 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	50397  
    Last edited by dchaley217; 11-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.

It would seem that molding profile is not oriented properly for use as a shoe. I don't know of any easy way to change the orientation. I would suggest taking a cross section view of the molding in a separate plan, lock all the layers except for your default CAD layer and then trace over the view with CAD, make sure you get a closed polyline, rotate that 90 degrees clockwise and add that to your molding library and try again with that. There might be a better solution from someone else. I know there are a lot of shortcomings with Chief's stairs (and 3D molding polylines) if you want this kind of detail.
    Last edited by sutcac; 11-07-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

The profile looks like a subrail.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

From another recent post, you can right click on the molding in the library and click Place Molding Profile ( I didn't know that!) and then click in the plan or in a CAD detail, then you can easily rotate it 90 degree and re-save to your library and use it as a 3D molding polyline. Sample plan attached.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter