Version 10 usb dongle

Hi
    I am on the look out for a spare version 10 USB dongle. Is there anyone that could help me on this.
    Thanks
    cad.services.design@gmail.com

Do you have a registered version of Chief?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Hi Glenn
    I have only one seat which is a registered version but am looking at getting a student to help me out occasionally.
    Thanks

am looking at getting a student to help me out occasionally.

To do that you will need to buy a second license

its not legal to sell a copy of prior versions if they have been upgraded

look on Ebay for a legal copy of ver 10

you can create a favorites search and you will get an email each time an auction starts

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I think that may be a misinterpretation - "The first-sale doctrine is a limitation on copyright that was recognized by the Supreme Court of the United States in 1908 (see Bobbs-Merrill Co. v. Straus) and subsequently codified in the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 109. The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy ends once that copy is sold, as long as no additional copies are made. This doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale," "first sale rule," or "exhaustion rule.""
    I think that if you purchase a dongle or seat you just can't register it. Or do you think there's something (enforcable) in the EULA that the Supreme Court might have missed?

Matt:

the "first sal doctrine" means that you can sell your copy of chief without interfence from CA

however, if you buy ver 10 and then upgrade to X1 your license is now for X1 and the ver 10 license is dead and cannot be sold or given away.

If you sell X1 the ver 10 items MUST be included in the sale or destroyed

it is a violation of the license to have X1 on PC A and ver 10 on PC B and be in use at the exact same time, in other words, two operators

If you and you alone are using PC A and PC B that is ok per the license

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

WARNING

post by beaunda has been reported as SPAM

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    I think that may be a misinterpretation - "The first-sale doctrine is a limitation on copyright that was recognized by the Supreme Court of the United States in 1908 (see Bobbs-Merrill Co. v. Straus) and subsequently codified in the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 109. The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy ends once that copy is sold, as long as no additional copies are made. This doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale," "first sale rule," or "exhaustion rule.""
    I think that if you purchase a dongle or seat you just can't register it. Or do you think there's something (enforcable) in the EULA that the Supreme Court might have missed?
    This is an interesting debate that has had conflicting court decisions. The most recent involving AutoDesk which first ruled that a sale was covered by the first sale doctrine but was subsequently overturned in Sept 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

Since our EULA is restrictive in how and if you can transfer a license it also would fall into the same category. To date it appears that the courts are upholding the idea of a license not falling under the first sale rule if that license is restrictive.

At any rate, I'm not a lawyer and so it's just my opinion here but from my viewpoint buying a lock is essentially the same as buying a license if the intent is to gain another usable copy of the software.

If you don't get the license with the sale, you don't have the right to use an additional copy just because you have an additional lock. Make certain that when you buy the lock you get the license transfered into your name.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

It's definitely murky and ultimately I suppose will be determined by who's prepared to go to the supreme court, who have not, ever, ruled that software licenses can restrict buyer first sale prerogatives. In any event, I responded without reading Lew's comments fully and obviously he's correct. In no way, under any doctrine, would an upgrade to a license or copy constitute a second license or copy.
    As for two operators of different generations of a license or copy, that's an interesting question. If I receive the errata to the Building Code, am I not entitled to separately bind the outdated pages and place them on an employees desk for their use, which might be concurrent with mine? Obviously they'd be defective and their utility limited to some greater or lesser extent. Now take it a step further and suppose that I'm working on a new project and reviewing current Code while my employee is performing revisions to a project submitted and reviewed under the now outdated Code language. Must I close my book so that they may open theirs?
    Or, in my case, suppose I had a single seat of CA and an old project was being opened to start a second or additional phase of development. Could my employee not open it using an old license while I was meeting with the client to develop a design program in the current version?
    Clearly I've got too much time on my hands
    Have a great weekend!

Matt:

per CA's license concurrent use is a violation

how the courts view that license is up to the courts

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051