Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    Not only can it be done in Chief, but it can be done faster!
    Gary,
    You holding out on me?

Please share this valuable info.

There are some excellent ideas being presented on here with regards to exporting to layout and adding CAD blocks, as well as custom polylines...etc.

This raises an entirely different issue.

Ease of revisions.

My Builders are notorious for approving a marketing plan only to e-mail me a day later w/ revisions. I dont not want to have to revise the floor plan, and then go back and revise added CAD blocks, layouts...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Try sending a Top Ortho floor image to the layout and overlay with text there. The result is almost identical to Softplan. No need for you to lose business over this.

If your waiting on Chief to add this enhancement, you may be out out of business by that time.
    Top ortho image doesnt show the doors swing arcs at all, and window dont looks good. Even if I cross section down on them.
    If adding text was my only issue Id be thrilled.

For those not quite following what "orthographic top view" means, or how you get there:

Floor overview form the Ortho menu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	50186

Then from the 3D menu - View Direction - Top

Name:	second.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	50187

Then from the Rendering Techniques button - Standard

Name:	third.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	50188

And if you want to get really fancy - put some shadows on it using Final View with Shadows.

Name:	last.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	50189

Yes, you have to add your own text. Send that image to a layout, and add your text.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

And doors that you set to show as open in 3D will show as open.

Now this isn't to say I don't also wish we had something sexy that could be done quicker, with the room labels, to scale, etc. I agree with that wish. I'm just posting these so those who can't tell what the advanced users are talking about can get up to speed.

Name:	doors.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	50190
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

And hmmmm - not sure why my cabinets and furniture aren't shadowing...
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Doors can be shown open (but you still can not see a frame) and you can cheat, somewhat, and increase window frame depth; you can simulate a door somewhat by using a polyline w/fill slightly wider than the wall . Other than that I didn't say they are identical-- But pretty close. Your not going to win them all.

Wendy beat me to the trigger.
    Last edited by gteacher; 10-23-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

And a raytrace of that ortho works nicely. Well, except you can't see plants in a top down, but they produce shadows.

Of course, raytracing every plan is more time than most folks will want to spend.

Name:	raytrace.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	50191
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Esmalls View Post
    Gary,
    You holding out on me?

Please share this valuable info.

There are some excellent ideas being presented on here with regards to exporting to layout and adding CAD blocks, as well as custom polylines...etc.

This raises an entirely different issue.

Ease of revisions.

My Builders are notorious for approving a marketing plan only to e-mail me a day later w/ revisions. I dont not want to have to revise the floor plan, and then go back and revise added CAD blocks, layouts...etc.

What Wendy said is what I was talking about. Thanks Wendy!!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by Esmalls View Post
    Here is a pic of a floor plan created by a local designer for a builder I also do work for. He uses Softplan and created these marketing floor plans right through Softplan without any need for photoshop or photo editing software.
    I am losing some of my marketing plan business to him because I cannot create this with the colors on the furniture, fixtures...etc without exporting and editing in photoshop. Not to mention if any changes are required, I have to export and do it all over again.
    As far as I know, I cannot get the furniture colors, fixtures, cars, doorways to come out like this if I try to do any color overviews. also, text cannot be added to color overviews.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to produce something that looks like this within chief? If not, does X4 address this issue?

Thanks In advance
    Eric
    We have all lost track of what Eric has asked for. Go back to the first post and have a look at his attachment. Can anybody answer his question?
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    Intel core 2 duo CPU T7250@2.0 GHz
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT

Quote Originally Posted by Grantbd View Post
    We have all lost track of what Eric has asked for. Go back to the first post and have a look at his attachment. Can anybody answer his question?
    Thank you Grant, you are absolutely correct.... I have an idea that I will check on in the morning...... bottom line.... I do not seen any door swings or windows in the views that have been presented.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Check out this prior thread (post #7) where Charles was able to do a remarkable floorplan all in Chief.

http://chieftalk.com/showthread.php?...render+overlay
    Len Dalton
    v X4
    CA Certified Professional

I had forgotten about that one. Good idea to send them both to layout.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

I know I prattled on about cad boxes earlier but I cant help but believe that Erics view is totally cad based. Big thick lumpy lines, a bit of texture which Chief is totally capable of providing via the countless custom fills. Room polylines in back with the solid colour and custom fills in front with transparency checked if you want a floor. Erics dont have a floor. This has to be the way surely, and dont call me shirley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	showplan 2d,s.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	50195  
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT

Surely:

All symbols appear to be standard 2D SP symbols - including the cars. I found most of them without too much effort. They were painted with either a solid color or texture (pattern image) and I believe put on different layers to get the right color outline. The kitchen counter-tops look like they were drawn with the counter top tool -- maybe not. Don't know how the color gradations were done. This is definitely just standard stuff in SP.

AND ---- I STILL believe Chief's Ortho's look better.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Surely:

All symbols appear to be standard 2D SP symbols - including the cars. I found most of them without too much effort. They were painted with either a solid color or texture (pattern image) and I believe put on different layers to get the right color outline. The kitchen counter-tops look like they were drawn with the counter top tool -- maybe not. Don't know how the color gradations were done. This is definitely just standard stuff in SP.

AND ---- I STILL believe Chief's Ortho's look better.
    Gerry, yip, Ive been looking and $100 will buy you a sack full of 2d symbols on any amount of websites as you allude to. Floor overviews do look cool for sure, but for me , the potential for dimensioning and scaling from a true plan view is the way. Surely
    Last edited by Grantbd; 10-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT