Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    Export a 3Ds to Sketchup. Chief Terrain tool is a crapshoot at best.

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Yes, as Glen says, a terrain break line right down the middle of that wall fixes a lot of problems
    Thank you it works fine

Rupert

Your problem is that per the contour, Chief is treating that correctly. Its more a problem with the data than CA. I agree that you need to fix by hand.

If you know how to use Sketchup, you could import into sketchup, run the terrain tool, fix and then export/import into CA.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

How many of you guys use topographic survey information imported directly from AutoCAD? I would guess that 50% of my residential projects have an official survey with topographic data, and it is only recently that I've been successful at creating CA terrain from it. I watched several video's on how to do it without the "craziness" which was common. There are many tricks and tools to get the terrain to display correctly. I've seen the terrain region simplification method, but like many of you, I need to use the actual topographic information. It is when we pop a house and retaining walls in that mix that the challenges arise.

I tend to either convert the surveyors topo lines into terrain elevation lines and assign them a height based on where my floor level is, or I trace over their lines directly with terrain elevation lines. I'm still learning these tools, after years of dinking with them.
    -=JT=-

Now that this thread has been resurrected - I started it 2 years ago - I've learned a few things. I now create terrains by using a few terrain "Elevation Regions" at key points that relate to the survey data and I let Chief fuss with the individual contours. This is really a case of close enough is good enough.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    Now that this thread has been resurrected - I started it 2 years ago - I've learned a few things. I now create terrains by using a few terrain "Elevation Regions" at key points that relate to the survey data and I let Chief fuss with the individual contours. This is really a case of close enough is good enough.
    I was wondering about that. I just finished a complicated terrain using both the AutoCAD topo lines and popping in those special "elevation region" boxes to smooth things out. They don't print so you can have then where needed to make things look right.
    -=JT=-

Quote Originally Posted by jtcapa View Post
    How many of you guys use topographic survey information imported directly from AutoCAD? I would guess that 50% of my residential projects have an official survey with topographic data, and it is only recently that I've been successful at creating CA terrain from it. I watched several video's on how to do it without the "craziness" which was common. There are many tricks and tools to get the terrain to display correctly. I've seen the terrain region simplification method, but like many of you, I need to use the actual topographic information. It is when we pop a house and retaining walls in that mix that the challenges arise.

I tend to either convert the surveyors topo lines into terrain elevation lines and assign them a height based on where my floor level is, or I trace over their lines directly with terrain elevation lines. I'm still learning these tools, after years of dinking with them.
    I only ever use contours generated from a surveyors plan, I simply import their dwg, copy the contour lines (which automatically join as polylines most of the time) and convert to terrain elevation lines, give a value then build terrain. Sometimes extra elevation points are required to get chiefs contour lines to match the surveyors.

Only thing is that any slabs manually generated relate to the floor level of zero not the height nominated on the terrain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	61222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	61223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	61224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	61225
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit