Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Scott:

I can't speak for Gary/Louis and it would be interesting to hear their definition of auto

for me, auto roofs means only making entries to the DBX's

it may take multiple stages of entries into various dbx's but it is still auto

for me manual means having to select roof planes and tweaking them via the move handles etc

for me Auto means Chief does all the "work"

for me auto means the entire operation is repeatable and could be programmed as a Ruby macro/script if Ruby were programmed to allow us to do that

Lew

As I said, the more custom your needs are, the more tweaking is needed, thus the more "manual" it becomes. Again, the auto roofs will get you most of the way there, if not all the way.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    I did not see this question as I was busy typing my post, chill out, stop attacking!!

Yea, sorry about the attacking Gary, I was getting a bit frustrated. The frustration goes back to post #26 where you stated the roof in the picture needed no editing. Whereas I think you are now acknowledging for the roof to be correct it will take some manual editing. Even Louis did not point out that the roof needed editing, I wonder why that was left out. I was trying to learn something and two very experienced users were leaving out what I consider some pertinent information.

I am not adverse to paying for some quality tutoring. I have had some tutoring from some very knowledgeable users, including Al Frey, Louis Fernandez, and four different advanced training seminars taught by either Mont Stevenson, John Jones or Mike Neuss. I do appreciate your offer to give me some tutoring and I will certainly keep you in mind.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    The frustration goes back to post #26 where you stated the roof in the picture needed no editing. Whereas I think you are now acknowledging for the roof to be correct it will take some manual editing.
    Apology accepted!

I did NO editing in my model that I displayed, which is what I said. This thread was about auto roofs and then trusses got added in along with different size rafters. So I set up my model, auto built the roofs, set up my roof parameters and auto framed the roof. (the only editing was to color the rafters blue for clarity). I also said, the more custom you need it the more editing will be involved.

The whole point is not about editing, as much as using the auto roof tool
    it can save a bunch of time. People can do this any way they want, my point was to say, much of what you are doing manually can be done automatically saving time.

I would like to see more control in the room dbx, roof tab, to allow for more roof editing, IE: rafter size, o.c. spacing....
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Scott,

Look closely at his picture.

I got my teacher training from Al and Mike. Great guys!

I found this an interesting thread from the standpoint of Human emotion and reaction.

The original poster was helped, his problem addressed. I believe all those who responded to be able, advanced users, who have long track records of helping others with Chief Architect use.

I believe that when you freely help others is universally a good thing, how that help is offered, at no charge in the Spirit of Help is secondary and its "rightness" or "wrongness" in the opinions of others is a rather useless waste of energy.
    Everyone has opinions of what is right and wrong that are individual to them.

I recommend we just help others and respect the willingness of others to help. Chief Architect Inc software allows for more than one way to arrive at the various products you can make with it.

I like that fact and it should not be used to punish others for not knowing all those possible ways, especially when they are in the act of trying to help another.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I just don't think Gary understands what it takes to provide Full working plans as here in Calif. Huge difference between here and where he is. He probably has never heard of some of the things we have to provide.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I just don't think Gary understands what it takes to provide Full working plans as here in Calif. Huge difference between here and where he is. He probably has never heard of some of the things we have to provide.
    While New England isn't quite as strict as CA we do have 110 mph wind zone areas. Virtually all of my plans are designed for 110 zone which requires a ton of paperwork. So some of us not in CA do understand what is involved in a real set of construction documents.

Unfortunately as we all know most of the construction documents produced are sorely lacking any meat. Most have far too much fluff that is incorrect or totally unnecessary.
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

Perry, "You don't think", and you obviously didn't read

My signature says, I am a CT Building Official...

So I have 35 years in construction, 25 years creating construction documents, 2 year structural design degree. The last 12 years of ongoing training for code compliance, etc. (required to have 30 hours per year) We do case studies all over the country, and use California many times because you have more history of failures.

So I know a bit about your code, especially since the "Terminator" was elected. Initially, California adopted the NFPA 5000 codes as a baseline for the future California Building Code, but when Gov Schwarzenegger was elected, he rescinded the use NFPA 5000, and California adopted the IBC. We are using the ICC codes also, your seismic code is more stringent, but it is the same code.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Building inspector means nothing to me, most out here are ex. contractors that couldn't make it . your docs are not what are required here , do you detail every shear wall connection and every nail needed.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Building inspector means nothing to me, most out here are ex. contractors that couldn't make it . your docs are not what are required here , do you detail every shear wall connection and every nail needed.
    I agree, I am still a design builder full time. I am a licensed Building Official, but do not work in that capacity. I did the certification to keep current with codes.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

do you detail every shear wall connection and every nail needed.
    Yes, in High wind areas along the coast. Not a big deal if you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by Gary Doski; 10-14-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    I agree, I am still a design builder full time. I am a licensed Building Official, but do not work in that capacity. I did the certification to keep current with codes.
    Or because you are short!. You need to read your posts as if they are written by someone else Gary, like all of us are having too!
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    Intel core 2 duo CPU T7250@2.0 GHz
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbd View Post
    Or because you are short!. You need to read your posts as if they are written by someone else Gary, like all of us are having too!
    Baaahaaaa.....and I thought I got snarky once in awhile when someone suggests reformating your hard drive because the toolbars reverted back to default or something foolish like it.....
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

Quote Originally Posted by Grantbd View Post
    Not seeing what you are seeing??
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
    Baaahaaaa.....and I thought I got snarky once in awhile when someone suggests reformating your hard drive because the toolbars reverted back to default or something foolish like it.....
    Its Baa'aa. The H is silent and its shorter
    Grant Bedford
    X1
    Dell Inspiron 1720
    Windows Vista Business
    Intel core 2 duo CPU T7250@2.0 GHz
    4.0 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600GT