Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Laptop

Good point, Louis! (but Lew is one of my mentors on Chief, so I hope he knows how much I appreciate him and his unflagging assistance ).

I'm going to query Tech Support about this -- I'll report back what I find out.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

OK, here's what Leanne in Tech Support has to say about the issue:
    Hello Kathleen,

While we are not familiar with how "Dropbox" functions, we can advise you that working on files when they are not saved on your local machine's hard drive is not supported.

This means that working on files while they are stored on a network server, external hard drive, or usb flash drive device is not supported, and is actually the number one reason we see for file corruption and data loss.

If "Dropbox" is actually some type of utility that backs up your files from your local machine's hard drive when they are not in use, and copies them to another location, and then copies them back down on to the local machine's hard drive when they are in use on another machine, then it may be a nice option for backing up your data and copying it between two systems.

However, since we are unfamiliar with the program you have referenced, you may want to check in to how it actually works and ensure that you would only ever be working on files when they are on your local machine's hard drive.

We hope this information has been helpful.

Thank you.
    So I'm going to need to do a little research on how Dropbox actually works -- are the files REALLY on my C: drive, like they appear to be?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Dropbox does actually store files on your computer and backs them up in the cloud.

Wow, cool -- I think I may just give this a try! It would certainly make life easier.

Not with anything important, though, until I know it works seamlessly.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Kathleen:

As I said, CA discourages it and won't offer tech support....

I used to have chief itself stored on an external drive and when CA stated this policy many versions ago I switched to allowing Chief to install to its default locations

everytime I had an issue with "anything" CA tried to blame it on my using an external drive

so even tho I have been using external drives for all my other software since 1988 I decided I didn't want CA's tech support to refuse to help with chief issues

Lew
    Last edited by lbuttery; 10-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

As I said, CA discourages it and won't offer tech support....

I used to have chief itself stored on an external drive and when CA stated this policy many versions ago I switched to allowing Chief to install to its default locations

everytime I had an issue with "anything" CA tried to blame it on my using an external drive

so even tho I have been using external drives for all my other software since 1988 I decided I didn't want CA's tech support to refuse to help with chief issues
    Kathleen,

This post will tell you a lot about Lew.