Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

I got my Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.8 GHz Turbo-boost , 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7 at Fryes for $1300.

It's super quiet and runs quite cool. Naturally it's a bit heavy, but it still fits in my case that I used with my 17" HP Laptop.

Thank you for the observations on the G74SX!
    Barton

====
    Chief Architect X5 Premier Latest, Google SketchUp 8
    PC: OS:Win 8 Pro x64, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz on an Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, SSD for boot disk.
    Laptop: OS: Win 8 Pro x64, HP dv7tQuadEdition, Core(TM) i7-2670QM - 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5, 660GB Dual Drive (160GB SSD/500GB 7200 rpm)

I paid $1199.00
    Rob Mathews, RN, CGR, NARI CR
    Curb Appeal Renovations
    CurbAppealRenovations.com
    Keller, Texas
    8.0 - X-6 User

Dell Alienware Aurora ALX, Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, I7-4960X, 16 GB RAM, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Graphics Card Dual 27" Monitors

Mine still works faster than I can.
    Don's Drafting Depot
    "3-D Working for You"

Release 4.0 thru 10.0 full
    Currently X4 Premium
    Acer AM5100 upgraded
    4GB and 256MB Nvidia

Precision 6600, 8MB 1600mhz
    Nvidia Quadro M3000 2GB DDR5
    17.3" FHD LED

Epson Photo R2000

"The trouble with deregulated free market capitalism is that the profits are privatized and we taxpayers, "socialize," the losses." ($16T and rising)

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I was having trouble with my Asus K52J which is an i5 2.4G processor and 4GB ram. It turned out that the problem was the Optimus graphics system which controlled wether the 1gb Nvidia card was controlling the graphics or the integrated Intel chip. I found out that you had to tell the Optimus system that Chief needed the Nvidia graphics. Without that setting running on the integrated Intel chip which we all know is a peice of **** when it comes to Chief.

Although the Optimus system is fine in theory - only use the high power graphics when necessary to extend battery life - I suspect the associated proceesing required slows down the system. I am considering looking at completely disabling the inegrated graphics to see it if gives further improvement. For me running on battery is a convinience rather than a necessity.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Going to plug Puget Systems here, i built my powerhouse computer there. A+ customer service rating through the BBB. www.pugetsystems.com

i will never use a "branded" company again. these guys are amazing. Leading computer building company in the US!
    Ric Howe
    President

RH Designs, LLC
    804-366-7314
    version X4 64bit! & X3, X2, X1 & v10.08a & b
    ASUS P6X58D Premium 64bit socket 1366
    12gb ddr3 1333ghz 3-4gb sticks
    Core i7 950 Bloomfield 3.07
    Self contained liquid cooled with 3-120mm fans
    NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 1gb GDDR5
    richowe@rhdesignsllc.com
    www.rhdesignsllc.com

Residential * Commercial * Civil

Ric, that computer is a thing of beauty.

I just ordered the same laptop as a lot of you are talking about: Asus G74Sx XR1 i7 2630QM 2 GHz, 12 GB RAM, GeForce GTX560M 3GB. Mine cost $1399 at Microworx, our local geek computer build store. I'm thinking about adding an SSD once the prices on them come down a bit.

It will arrive mid-week -- I'm so excited! I've never owned a laptop before so this will be a whole new adventure. I'm happy to hear you all saying good things about this rig. Let me know if you have any suggestions about setup, performance enhancement, etc.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I was having trouble with my Asus K52J which is an i5 2.4G processor and 4GB ram. It turned out that the problem was the Optimus graphics system which controlled wether the 1gb Nvidia card was controlling the graphics or the integrated Intel chip. I found out that you had to tell the Optimus system that Chief needed the Nvidia graphics. Without that setting running on the integrated Intel chip which we all know is a peice of **** when it comes to Chief.

Although the Optimus system is fine in theory - only use the high power graphics when necessary to extend battery life - I suspect the associated proceesing required slows down the system. I am considering looking at completely disabling the inegrated graphics to see it if gives further improvement. For me running on battery is a convinience rather than a necessity.
    Marty, Mine is the same way with the graphics for the same reasons. Mine is set for high power so the graphic chipset doesn't come into play, only the graphics card. I couldn't give a flip about saving power.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I'm getting my new Asus G74S laptop set up. And I just loaded Chief on it. But it says I need some special get-out-of-jail-free card to open Chief on the laptop because the license exists on my desktop computer.

I've never tried to use Chief on two computers before -- is that possible without buying 2 licenses? I would never be using both versions at the same time, so it's not like I'm trying to double-dip. Any advice for how to do this -- or whether it's possible?

Also, my desktop is 32-bit but the laptop is 64-bit. Will that difference cause any problems with plans passed between the two versions?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    With Chief running on your original machine you need to select help/deactivate license. That will allow it to run on the laptop. When you want to go back to the other machine you must repeat the process.

32/64 bit has no effect on the readibility of Chief files.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

I have a Lenovo W520 with the NVIDIA Quadro graphics card. It's rubbish for CA, but great for AutoCAD. It's a high quality machine with only 5weeks of the three year warranty used. I want to swap it for a CA tuned laptop. If anyone knows an ACAD user, please direct them to me. Many thanks,

Phil (phil.cabinetworks@gmail.com)

p.s. I'm in Victoria, BC

Lenovo W520, i7, Win 7 Pro, 8Gig RAM, 500 Gig ROM,

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    With Chief running on your original machine you need to select help/deactivate license. That will allow it to run on the laptop. When you want to go back to the other machine you must repeat the process.

32/64 bit has no effect on the readibility of Chief files.
    Thanks, Marty -- worked perfectly. One more question -- do you know whether can I put my Chief User Library in the cloud (someplace like Dropbox) so that I can access all my goodies from either computer?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Kathleen:

its possible to relocate the library but CA discourages it

and you would lose the ability to keep it updated

just make a copy of the entire DATA folder and replace the DATA folder on the laptop and you will be in sync

repeat every so often to stay in sync

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

So Lew, are you saying there's no way to set up Chief to save to C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen\My Documents\Dropbox\Chief Architect Premier X4 Data, or do they just DISCOURAGE people from doing this?

By saving to Dropbox, I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my files updated -- everything would always be in sync because Chief would be using the same exact files in either location. Why is this discouraged?

I guess I could see where this might be a problem if your internet connection went down, then Chief wouldn't have its resources available. And if you had a slow internet connection maybe it could really bog things down.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Kathleen,

Remember Lew does not make Chief policy. He just spouts it all the time!

Check with them.