Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fascia Molding Corners

Does anyone ever put a fascia molding on the gable fascia and the eave fascia with plumb cut eaves and no roof return? If so, how are the moldings joined at the corner? Is the eave molding rotated as if the eave were square cut?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Far.PNG 
Views:	320 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	49718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close.PNG 
Views:	1045 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	49719  
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

I have, on occasion done this but not in awhile.

What you show in your images is of course non-optimum, I find it strange that you, considering your signature, are asking us (not a crime, certainly, just curious).

Were I to do this I would rather it wrap properly as in the field.

When it does not I add an object or objects as necessary to fill in as best I can.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Do you have pictures?
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

Aaron,

Ideally, this would be a part of the Roof dbx (Framing Tab) as a "Shadow Board" similar to the Gable & Eave Fascias. But instead of (or perhaps in addition to) specifying thickness & width we would be able to specify 2D Molding Profile(s) and/or 3D Molding Symbols. In any event, this item should be applied directly to the Fascias and should miter at all corners. If Square Cut or Plumb Cut Eaves, this Trim has to be applied tight against the Fascias!!

Another note: Roofing should be able to be extended some distance past the outer edge of this trim - usually between 1/4" and 1" but never less than 1/4".

Do you have pictures?
    Sorry Aaron, I currently do not remember specifically when that "Last Time" was, if I still have those plan files, which version it might have been and so forth.

If you are considering adding such a feature as Joe is talking about then I am avid to see it there and bug-less, in fact this has been asked for along with shadow boards, drip-cap and other embellishments to the Roof Dialog for years.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Do you have pictures?
    Just draw a 2D Molding PLine and put a Molding on it. Then imagine that this is rotated to match the roof pitch. That would be the case for Square Cut Eaves. For a Plumb Cut Eave such a complex molding shape would not be used because it would require 2 different sized moldings to miter properly. If the Molding is just something like a 1x3 then the bottom of the gable trim is cut flush with the bottom of the eave trim.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 09-22-2011 at 11:49 AM.

FWIW, I currently have a project that is going to need either several moldings or one very complex molding in order to make the profile that the client wants. In this case, all the eaves are square cut so the miter will be possible regardless of the molding(s) needed.

Historically the rake profile was different than the eave profile so that they would match.
    Diagram Here
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

I do that when the overhang is tight to the wall, with a crown mold. type fascia. Haven't tried it in X4 yet, does it not work? I have also used a freeze and adjusted the location for that condition sometimes. Typ. type eave here in Calif. especially in fire areas
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Aaron, Houses are built with that mitre all the time here in AZ with stucco fascias...a few of my neighbors have it (my roofs are all hips)...maybe when I get a chance I can walk over there and snap a couple pictures if that would help?

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer View Post
    Aaron, Houses are built with that mitre all the time here in AZ with stucco fascias...a few of my neighbors have it (my roofs are all hips)...maybe when I get a chance I can walk over there and snap a couple pictures if that would help?
    Ben,

Are those with Plumb Cut Eaves? I've seen a lot of that kind of thing done with Stucco, but almost always with a Square Cut Eave.

No, you're right Joe...we use square cut...missed that...good catch.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Praise the Lord in Heaven! Facia profiles are happening!!!

We do this all of the time in our neighborhood and all that was said here so far is correct. Typically the rake and the eave will meet at 90 degrees (square cut rafter) or they would be separated by a roof return to make the transition.

However, this is for crown moulding mostly. The problem I can see is if you are trying to meet all the needs of everyone by allowing facia profiles then there will be numerous situations that will need to be possible.

Lubbock builders always seem to build what we call "The Texas Two Step" basically it's a 4" facia over an 8" facia. We don't get much rain in these parts so we don't use a lot of gutters, therefore our rafters are usually square cut to allow for adequate runoff, when it does rain, w/o touching more of the house (facia) than need be.

I will check today for as many examples as I can and post pictures later. Just so happens we are going on an MLS tour of competing builders today. Should walk about 30-50 houses today.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    I find it strange that you, considering your signature, are asking us (not a crime, certainly, just curious).
    Does a guy in China assembling a nail gun at a factory know how to build a house? Probably not, but he can sure put together an fantastic tool that will get the job done.

I would assume the same is true with Aaron. He does a fantastic job creating a powerful tool for us to use the way we need it to work. Doesn't mean he has to know how to build a house, just how to program a computer to make it build a virtual house in the way we want to.

I would bet that 90% of software developers, programmers, etc. @ CA have never had any construction experience, or have ever stepped foot on a construction site. They most likely are told by the advisors... "This is the end result of what we want, now write some code to make it happen."
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3