Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They most likely are told by the advisors... "This is the end result of what we want, now write some code to make it happen."

Exactly....

I spent 30 years as a systems analyst/programmer consultant for AT&T, Marriott, USAir, Xerox, Bell Atlantic, Freddie Mac etc etc etc

The "Business Analyst" created the specs and we implemented the code to "make it so"

Most contracts lasted 12 - 18 months

there was no way I could become a SME (subject matter expert) in those time-frames

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Aaron
    Nice to see you folks tinkering with the trim work.
    That trim detail was pretty much common practice here in New England back in the day. For the most part it was accomplished with flat stock. Easier to make two different moldings , same projection only different heights (the fascia being the shorter).
    Nowadays I seldom see new construction without gutters. The rake mold is still pretty commonplace in conjunction with roof returns.
    I would imagine accomplishing your original post would be quite the code challenge.
    For me, in this part of the county, I'd be satisfied with just some tweaking to the roof frame tab (graphic interface?) and the Frieze Tab, a no frieze on gable switch (no rake shadow board)
    Unless I'm missing something (very well could be ) Chief applies the frieze at both under the soffit and rake (a good thing) then I have to jump through hoops to get rid of the frieze on the gable after changing all the eave fascia to non automatic (a bad thing ).

While I'm at it,,, a second member on rake boards (a 1x3 on a 1x8 rake board)
    Same for fascia,,, a 1x2 at top of fascia for wood roofs , could be on the gutter tab (and shown on the graphic interface mentioned above).

now you have plenty to do
    keep the good work up, Ray C
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    They most likely are told by the advisors... "This is the end result of what we want, now write some code to make it happen."

Exactly....

I spent 30 years as a systems analyst/programmer consultant for AT&T, Marriott, USAir, Xerox, Bell Atlantic, Freddie Mac etc etc etc

The "Business Analyst" created the specs and we implemented the code to "make it so"

Most contracts lasted 12 - 18 months

there was no way I could become a SME (subject matter expert) in those time-frames

Lew
    Good post Lew.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I have been asking for this tool in Chief for years. I am currently working on an addition to a home with a crown molding as well as a plumb 1" trim board. Often a home with this type of detail also has roof returns to give the crown molding on the rake a place to die into. I have attached a cropped detail from a photo. Here in New England this type of detail is very common.

This detail is easy to resolve if you have returns.
    Aaron is asking about a detail without returns which requires the eave crown profile to be different than the rake crown profile.
    Last edited by moak; 10-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

A good discussion of this can be seen here at this JLC thread: http://tinyurl.com/3ca7vmq

When molding plumb orientations change planes as the moldings wrap corners, they cannot miter cleanly, which is why for a plumb eave crown trying to meet a rake crown, the two moldings are not the same. The eave crown's plumb orientation is true plumb, while that for the rake is rotated per the pitch of the gabled roof.

Since the shape can be resolved using CAD solids operations, it would seem that there is a way this can be programmed, but it would be a challenge. One would specify a crown geometry for the detail, but the result would either "compress" the profile for the eave, or "stretch" it for the rake.
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 10-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Hi,

I didn't read the article (website slow) but this is as close I have been able to do for a clean transition without returns. I think the profiles need to be different to avoid the short horizontal segment. It is simply a matter of geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown mitre.PNG 
Views:	203 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	50166  
    Spencer Design
    Modeling and Rendering
    Click here to send me an email

Is there a video somewhere that explains how to apply fascia moldings? I'm also from Texas and I like how Aaron describes it, "Texas Two Step". I have a project where I am trying to figure out how to apply multiple layers of fascia and have the roof material (shingles) also extend about a half and inch beyond the outside fascia.
    Jerry Karlovich
    Chief Architect X5
    W7 64 Pro
    Quad/GTX 570/8gb
    Positraction/500hp/NOS/Speed Shifter/Chevy SS
    www.korel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
    Is there a video somewhere that explains how to apply fascia moldings? I'm also from Texas and I like how Aaron describes it, "Texas Two Step". I have a project where I am trying to figure out how to apply multiple layers of fascia and have the roof material (shingles) also extend about a half and inch beyond the outside fascia.
    Hi Jerry,

Currently, that's pretty difficult to do in Chief. Aaron was asking because evidently he was given the task of programming the feature.

With Plumb Cut Eaves, you can use a 3D Molding PLine and apply one or more Moldings (but the corner mitres won't be right) and the roof materials won't extend out to the edge of the Moldings. However, you could use an extra Molding Profile or Solid with the same material definition as the roofing.

IAE, it gets pretty complicated and tedious. Even the simplest "Shadow Boards" with Square Cut Eaves are a challenge.

Hopefully, Aaron is making progress and this will get into X5.

Thanks Joe for your response. I have, very tedious and time consuming, applied 3D solids to the fascia board but the shingles don't extend out beyond that. Here is an image I found on Brand X's website that shows this very well:
    http://www.thehousedesigners.com/ima...421/1421r1.jpg
    Jerry Karlovich
    Chief Architect X5
    W7 64 Pro
    Quad/GTX 570/8gb
    Positraction/500hp/NOS/Speed Shifter/Chevy SS
    www.korel.com

Hi Jerry,

For Square Cut Eaves such as the pic you posted, I have used another technique that works but it's still a lot more work that it should be.

1. Create a 3D Symbol consisting of a thin solid (1/4" thick) stacked on top of a thicker one (about 3" thick). The thin one gets the roofing material and the thicker one is the fascia material. I use the options "Sits On Roof" & "Flush Mounted" with an offset value of -3.125" so that the top surface is 1/8" above the actual roof surface.

2. I then place this (put it on a special custom layer so you can turn it off in plan and on in 3D) and stretch it so that the edges project just past the eaves and gable ends. Note that the Gable Ends are easy but the Eave projection is variable based on the roof slope - It seems that the 2D Block is not stretched to match the slope direction (It would be nice if CA would fix this.

IAE, you can get a pretty close approximation using this method.