Funky Framing Materials

Why is it that when I create a 2x4 stud wall and then put a door or window in it - I get the regular 2x4 Fir Studs and (2) 2x4 Fir Studs Stock? These are the same things and having 2 different components listed makes for a real messy Materials List. I have to order both of these things from the Materials List even though they are exactly the same.

My supplier looks at me funny when I tell him I need (14) 2x4x92-5/8 Fir Studs and (2) 2x4x92-5/8 Fir Studs Stock.

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Joe, you use the materials list for ordering stock? How has it worked out for you?
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

It's fine as long as you set the Structural Member Reporting Defaults to use either "Mixed Reporting" or "Buy List". I prefer to use " as my units so that studs are listed as 92-1/4" or 92-5/8" in length (West Coast is typically 92-1/4").

Of course, you have to make sure all your Framing is built and that the Framing defaults are set up correctly. If the model isn't correct then the Materials List won't be right.

In the Components dbx, I would like to see components "merge", when they are identical in every aspect, excluding the ID number and quantity. You can edit the Description now, to make them the same, but they won't merge......However, if there is any discrepancy, whether it be a period, space, etc., that makes them unique, keep them separate.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Cliff,

I will be doing something like that for the Master List edit utility that I'm programming. I would like to do it for Materials Lists as well, but I need CA to provide an "Import" function (companion tool for the export function that's currently available) in order to deal with the Materials Lists.

Good idea Joe....Thanks for working in this area.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Another thing I've noticed is that Chief's Materials List doesn't utilize a "Bill of Materials" at the "Component" level. IOW, it has no idea that a 2x4x8' is (8) 2x4x1' and that a 2x4x10' is (10) 2x4x1'. If it had that capability, it could calculate costs based on the cost/ft even when the List was generated as a "Buy List". This is something that I could incorporate in my program - but only if I can get the "Import" function.