Thread: Roof Layers

Roof Layers

This might allready be possible but if it is, I just do not know how to do it.

I would like to be able to add felt/tarpaper to the roofs like we have the option of adding tyveck to the wall layer so when we use the delete surface tool to the roof we could see the felt.
    Chris Brown
    CA vs. X1, X2, X3
    Stone Castle Homes, LLC.
    Design/Build General Contractor
    Republic, Missouri
    Ph. # 417-732-1027
    Email chrisdbrown@att.net

Sad to say, but it ain't there. We've only the option to specify roof surface, its thickness and material, and same for sheathing. This, all above the structure.

You can trick a view if you like, however, by using a logo-image like that for one of the underlayment films such as RoofTopGuard, making a tiled material from the image, and using that material for your roof surface. That will give the look of the roof-ready-for-finish-or-shingles-or-whatever. No delete surface required.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Thanks,

I know we can do workarounds, I just want another material in the roof dbx to accomplish this.
    Chris Brown
    CA vs. X1, X2, X3
    Stone Castle Homes, LLC.
    Republic, Missouri
    Ph. # 417-732-1027

I would also like more roof layers. Why we just have a basic few, and not the ability to customize like walls and floors, I can't guess why.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

I will post this in suggestions, feel free to chime in there.
    Chris Brown
    CA vs. X1, X2, X3
    Stone Castle Homes, LLC.
    Republic, Missouri
    Ph. # 417-732-1027

this would be a great tool. Just the ability do define layers and re-arrange them to make open beam roofs easier to create, and also to be able to put the insulation outside the framing layer, and get a real feel for the thickness of what you are designing...

Have to agree more control of the seperate layers in roofs would be great. I would hope that a roof could be treated as a wall only laid over allowing us to make any roof we need to.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

I have no inside information, but I would be surprised if roof layers were not a feature of X5. They recently added the ability to add layers to floors & ceilings, and I think roof layers are the next obvious development.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Chris:

In X3, try this:

1. Select all your roof planes; make a copy.

2. While still selected, go to options tab and uncheck the roof sheathing selection box.

3. Change the thickness of the roofing material to 1/16".

4. Go to the materials tab and change the roofing material to whatever material you want to use for your felt/tarpaper. I changed the roofing to a leather material - in Plan Materials I made a copy of the material and called it Roof Tar Paper.

When I tested this, when I made the roof plane copies, I drug them off to the side and then in display options I made another layer called Roof Planes 2 and used that for my tar paper roof planes. I then moved them back into place with a point to point move.

Next I built a materials list and the roof tar paper showed up on the list with a slightly greater square footage than the roofing material for the original roof planes.

The interesting thing is that even though I have roof planes on top of roof planes, I can only select the original roof planes (Roof Planes layer) and I cannot select the tar paper roof planes (Roof Planes 2 layer).

That is only the beginning of the weird stuff. Next (try this) take a back clipped X-section of a test model. I wasn't so sure I could see the 1/16th inch thick tar paper like(where) I thought I should so I changed the line style for the Roof Planes 2 layer from a solid line to a dashed line.

The tar paper was there and it was where it should have been - right on top of the roof framing. So, to get it where it belongs, I would need to raise it up in the Z direction. However, not only was my tar paper a dashed line, but so is the roof framing. When I turn off my Roof Planes 2 (tar paper) layer in display options, "all" the roof framing goes away ... even any roof framing for the original roof planes! Maybe Chief doesn't like to have two copies of roof framing for section views.

I could get the tar paper to show in 3D overviews but with some unusual results as far as no fascia displaying. Maybe there's something else that can be done with the copied roof planes ??? to get better results ... don't know. You can play with it some and see what you get for results. Not sure why you want to do this but maybe this is a start to get you there. Good luck.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard