Thread: Floating newels

Hybrid View

Floating newels

Why do I have these two newel posts floating at the attic level above the real ones at the top of the stairs? They are phantoms and I can't get them to go away by adjusting the rail opening or resnapping the stair rail.

In X4.
    Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating-newels.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	49230  

Andy, will you please handle this for me?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

They look like part of the stair case. Notice how wide they are in relation to the stairs and not the balcony. They seem to line up with the stringers.

Try to bring your stairs inward by 2 or 3 inches...to the attic floor... and make them just a bit wider. The same width as the two newels at the second floor. That might get them recognize that they are at the upper level.

If that doesn't work you can try "rail over the newel post" in the stair dialogue box as an experiment to see if they calm down.

Question...is your attic floor a 3rd floor...or is it attic? That could possibly cause a hiccup as well.
    Last edited by VHampton; 08-18-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

Aaaaannnnnddddyyyyyy, where are you?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I'll say it, Liz. PTP

Post the plan. If too big, use Dropbox. Be sure to close the Chief file before either zipping it or dropping a copy into Dropbox.

Unless of course it is one of Wendy's. We'll have to kill you if you post it, then.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Solved it

I just started to post the plan then figured it out. The phantom newels that looked like they were in the attic were just half post right where they should have been. So I checked "no half post" on the railing and they went away.

I sort of expected someone else would have run into this. It's the first time I tried adding the handrail on top of the stair.

Thanks,
    Liz