Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I too had thought about the band, but I don't think you can get what you suggested. I think at best you will get a trim board the thickness of the pony wall which could act as a stop for wood siding, but it will not cover the rim joist.... unless I am missing something.

I just did a quick video on this and discovered that Glenn's method does have a weakness in that you will not get a sill plate. A wall must be a minimum of 3" tall to get any plates. A wall 3" tall will result in a top plate and a sill plate. Any shorter and you will lose both plates.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott, you can change the number of plates. Use 0 top plates and 1 sill plate - but remember that you will need to set that wall to "retain wall framing" so it doesn't get rebuilt later.

I still would prefer to have the option for a sill plate(s) on top of masonry and concrete walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott, you can change the number of plates. Use 0 top plates and 1 sill plate - but remember that you will need to set that wall to "retain wall framing" so it doesn't get rebuilt later.

I still would prefer to have the option for a sill plate(s) on top of masonry and concrete walls.
    Yes that does work, of course you have to go back in and reset the number of plates for the walls and rebuild wall framing again.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Yes that does work, of course you have to go back in and reset the number of plates for the walls and rebuild wall framing again.
    Right - of course.

The bands do work since a Pony Wall results in everything outside the main layer extending down to cover the floor framing. If you specify a Pony Wall 6" above floor and the floor structure is 12", the Pony Wall will appear to be 18" tall in 3D Views. It starts at the bottom of the framing and goes up to 6" above the floor.

Right - of course.

The bands do work since a Pony Wall results in everything outside the main layer extending down to cover the floor framing. If you specify a Pony Wall 6" above floor and the floor structure is 12", the Pony Wall will appear to be 18" tall in 3D Views. It starts at the bottom of the framing and goes up to 6" above the floor.
    Very clever Joe, great Idea.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here I've simply redefined my concrete stem wall; it now has a veneer of CMU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmu stem wall.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	49143  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    I don't get it, what does that do for us?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Bill,

I don't understand why. We have a 8" CMU Stem Wall so why define one that's Concrete with a 1/16" CMU Veneer?

Is there some advantage to this that I'm not aware of? What does it due to the Materials List?

Scott, Joe,
    A concrete wall will automatically generate a mud sill; so I've defined my concrete wall to look a CMU wall.

Notice that it is automatically generating plates (mud sills).
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

So it must have something to do with the texture or layers to create the top plate. Weird for sure. Thanks for that tip Bill.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Bill,

That only appears to be true for a foundation wall. I'm talking about a masonry building - at least the 1st floor.

But that does bring up the question of why a Concrete Stem Foundation Wall generates a sill plate but an 8" CMU Stem Foundation Wall doesn't. That IMO is a bug.

Actually, it shouldn't matter if it's a Foundation Wall or a 1st floor wall with framing above that level. It should generate a sill plate in that case as well. It should at least be a choice provided.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 08-15-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Bill,

That only appears to be true for a foundation wall. I'm talking about a masonry building - at least the 1st floor.

But that does bring up the question of why a Concrete Stem Foundation Wall generates a sill plate but an 8" CMU Stem Foundation Wall doesn't. That IMO is a bug.

Actually, it shouldn't matter if it's a Foundation Wall or a 1st floor wall with framing above that level. It should generate a sill plate in that case as well. It should at least be a choice provided.
    I never got a real handle on this. In fact a while ago I was getting sill plates on my site retaining walls.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

So before I put this in as a suggestion or a bug report:

1. Should CMU Foundation Stem Walls be treated the same as Concrete Foundation Stem Walls and have a sill plate when there's framing above?

2. Should both wall types have sill plates when there's framing above, even if its not a foundation wall?

Note: Chief seems to recognize that if there's a Concrete wall at the first floor level that the framing is supported via ledger so it doesn't blindly put a sill plate on the foundation wall. The assumption is that this rule would continue to apply.

So before I put this in as a suggestion or a bug report:

1. Should CMU Foundation Stem Walls be treated the same as Concrete Foundation Stem Walls and have a sill plate when there's framing above?

2. Should both wall types have sill plates when there's framing above, even if its not a foundation wall?

Note: Chief seems to recognize that if there's a Concrete wall at the first floor level that the framing is supported via ledger so it doesn't blindly put a sill plate on the foundation wall. The assumption is that this rule would continue to apply.
    I like Glenn's method the best if we could only get the sill plate to show up.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Auto mud sills on floor one

Here I have Auto Mud Sills on level one.

I built a foundation, and then deleted it. The mud sills moved up to level one!

I'm using the modified "concrete" wall that I showed you earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto mudsills on level one.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	49146  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net