Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Giattino View Post
    I see a lot of messy wall joints in X4, especially with 3 or 4 way joints. There's often a tiny bit of wall at the end. Deleting that bit helps, but other times the graphics are just unacceptable.

I've sent many examples in. I would urge you to send examples in so we can get this fixed.
    Thank You Maureen. Perhaps it's a enhanced feature for those who want to show wall studs.

But otherwise it's resulting in sloppy looking plans. And that is unacceptable.

There appears to be a benefit such as foundation walls versus an interior wall when one wall overtakes the other as they get very close. But when it comes down to those areas, one just has to be extra careful with the mouse. This is a guard rail feature which we should be allowed shut off.
    Last edited by VHampton; 08-16-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I would like to add my vote for return of the "Butts other walls" tool. Thick walls and angled walls are the main problem areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butt walls1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	49175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butt walls2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	49176  
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

yes angled walls and 3 way junctions now just don't seem to be acceptable
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

My vote is also for the "wall butts other walls". I do a lot of renovation and the new walls butt the existing masonry walls. I found this post to find where that command went, turned on the through wall layer, and got a bunch of improperly drawn other walls that I don't have time to go back and fix. Tried to get two at at right angles to merge and it seems I have to decide which on frames through. It just looks stupid.
    Liz

In X4 the way wall corners draw was majorly reworked. The purpose was to fix unwanted triangular fills.

Along the way Wall Butts Other Wall was replaced by Thru Wall At Start/End. Thru Wall should be the negation of Wall Butts. For example if Wall A was Wall Butts and Wall B and C were not, then Wall B and C should be Thru Wall while Wall A should not.

You should be able to achieve the same results with Thru Wall. If there are bugs then they are due to the major rework on wall corners. You should send plans in to Technical Support so that we can fix these bugs.
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Hi Aaron

The problem may be with the description "Thru Wall At Start/End"
    I didnt understand it when I first read it and I am still not exactly sure what it means. I have tried checking the various options but have never been able to get the same result as "wall buts other walls".

I am not sure what other functions the setting could cover which would not be covered by "wall buts other walls". The need for the tool occurs when 3 walls have a common intersection - where they start or end is irrelevant.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Turn on Preferences >> Edit >> (S)tart and (E)nd Indicators. Then when you select a wall the start of the wall will have an S and the end of the wall will have an E. Wall Butts Other Walls didn't allow you to control each end independently.
    Aaron Michalk
    Senior Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

There are some nice wall features in X4 but this is not one of them. You have the choice of having the layer on to show a butt at every intersection or none. I don't want to decide how to butt the walls at every intersection just so I can show a new stud wall butting an existing masonry wall. It is easier to go back to adding a CADD line like in the old days.

This feature was obviously dreamed up by somebody who has only designed stud walls and (for some reason I can't imagine) wants to detail all the wall framing. Masonry walls and concrete walls do not have butt joints at the corners. Drawing them that way makes the drafter look stupid.

Give us back "this wall butts other walls", please!
    Liz

Aaron,

Wall Butts Wall worked very well for many conditions where various wall types come together. It was fast and clean. I agree that it didn't work well for both ends but we've lost a valuable tool. I would have preferred enhancing the existing tool to include the ability to choose just one end.

The new wall settings are fussy and create far more messy joints on my drawings. I work mostly with legacy plans and renovations, using multiple wall shadings to show different wall types.

It's taking a lot more time to clean up X4 wall intersections, and many times they can not be corrected. There isn't a legacy plan I open that doesn't have some wonky wall intersections. They look fine in X3, but open with problems in X4.

We've lost ground here and I hope you'll continue to work on this problem.

Thanks much,
    Maureen
    X6.current

Suggestions

I started a thread in Suggestions forum.
    Liz