Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is a link to a video with the solution.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....073#post409073
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Another solution would be to change the Brick's material type to Custom, or Area. In your Plan Materials, the Red5Brick is defined as "Brick". This causes the slab to cover it. I don't know whether this is right, or wrong. May be a bug that you may want to report.....If you pull back the brick wall that is attached to the basement (with the offset wall), you will see the slab go back over the brick.

There are brick Custom Patterns you can choose from. The drawback would be if you want the brick reported as per each in the Materials List. That is the way "Brick" reports......Custom and Area will report the brick in sq. ft.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    Another solution would be to change the Brick's material type to Custom, or Area. In your Plan Materials, the Red5Brick is defined as "Brick". This causes the slab to cover it. I don't know whether this is right, or wrong. May be a bug that you may want to report.....If you pull back the brick wall that is attached to the basement (with the offset wall), you will see the slab go back over the brick.

There are brick Custom Patterns you can choose from. The drawback would be if you want the brick reported as per each in the Materials List. That is the way "Brick" reports......Custom and Area will report the brick in sq. ft.
    I wish I knew what the heck you are talking about. What does the MATERIAL TYPE have to do with the slab covering it. I wish I knew what bug you want me to report, I do not see the bug you are talking about. If you see a bug you might want to report it. What does CUSTOM PATTERNS have to do with how the model behaves?

I will look into what you are talking about in the am.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

D. Scott,

The material type CAN influence how the model behaves.
    In another post I mentioned how Chief knows when you use a brick material and creates the brick ledge to suit the height of the brick.
    If you don't use a brick material, you don't get a brick ledge.

Could be the same thing working here - I haven't got time to check right now, but this seems to be the same sort of thing that Cliff is talking about.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    D. Scott,

The material type CAN influence how the model behaves.
    In another post I mentioned how Chief knows when you use a brick material and creates the brick ledge to suit the height of the brick.
    If you don't use a brick material, you don't get a brick ledge.

Could be the same thing working here - I haven't got time to check right now, but this seems to be the same sort of thing that Cliff is talking about.
    Yea, I think I was aware of something like that, but I definetly do not understand it yet. Remember I did a video on defining my STUCCO wall as having a 2" brick ledge, therefore the stucco went 2" below top of slab.

Suppose instead of brick I used GRANITE, or the CHIEFWRAP, or DRYWALL, or INSULATION as a veneer, wouldn't they go 2" below top of slab if I supplied a 2" brick ledge.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

D. Scott,

Yes...
    But...a slab usually builds to the outside of the brick veneer = brick ledge.
    A slab will be built back from a external lining layer = no brick ledge, but the lining will extend down past the slab the height of the brick ledge setting.

When I said, "If you don't use a brick material, you don't get a brick ledge.", I should have said - If you don't use a brick material, you don't get a brick ledge OF THE CORRECT HEIGHT AUTOMATICALLY.

I gues the point of this...if there is a point...is that it depends where you have your Build Foundation to this Line setting.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

scott, i follow your solution in this situation however, i would still like to understand why chief does what it does.

could the reason be as follows....

whilst the floor surface is generated on the level it is to be located, its supporting framework or slab whilst controlled by this floor level, is actually generated on the level below. therefore, any associated cladding on the outside, in this case brick foundation wall skin, is going to stop at the ceiling height set in the lower floor level (foundation level) "room defaults dbx". technically, it cannot go any higher!

example

floor 1 - room default > celing height 2440 (8'), floor structure thickness 100mm (4")
    ground floor - >room defaults ceiling height will be at least 100mm (4") below the above floor level. however, whilst the room defaults for this floor stop at ceiling height the framing for the floor above is generated on this level and not the floor above, resulting in the floor structure (or slab in this case) being displayed on the foundation level, but above the set ceiling height in the room dbx!

now, since the brick work height for the ground floor can only be determined from the ceiling height entered into the foundation level "room defaults dbx"...how can the brickwork automatically go above this point (room ceiling height) prior to the above floor being built and its defaults confirmed?

my understanding is that, after the above floor is built, chief then uses attic walls (i guess you would use that term) to fill in the gap between the two floors, which in this case would be about 100mm (4"). to me that explains why the program is fooling around with covering then uncovering the edges of the slab depending on where the wall underneath is located in relation to the edge of slab.

dimensionally (do you like that word...i thought it sounded good so i threw it in)...anyway...dimensionally, chief sees the slab as having nothing to do with the foundation floor level because its location and thickness is determined by the room defaults from the room above. in that case, until the floor above has walls constructed, chief is going to stuff around quite a bit trying to figure out what it is supposed to display...in fact i would argue, it should not display any brickwork above the top of the foundation floor ceiling height at this point anyway!

now if all that makes perfect sense, what is the solution????

should chief set its wall heights based on the room dbx for lower floor and floor structure tab from upper floor? perhaps it should

adam musing to himself ... "god, i hope im right after all that!"

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I wish I knew what the heck you are talking about. What does the MATERIAL TYPE have to do with the slab covering it. I wish I knew what bug you want me to report, I do not see the bug you are talking about. If you see a bug you might want to report it. What does CUSTOM PATTERNS have to do with how the model behaves?......
    Scott, maybe the jpg will explain better. I use a custom brick pattern, rather than "Brick". I prefer brick to be counted as sq ft, instead of per each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brick.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	49126
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Scott, maybe the jpg will explain better. I use a custom brick pattern, rather than "Brick". I prefer brick to be counted as sq ft, instead of per each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brick.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	49126
    I get that, my question is would that change how the model "behaves" in 3d.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

If you could stomach some of he playing with mono slab videos, you would of seen that the model behaves inconsistently as Aaron said in his very first post. I believe part 8 of the videos illustrates this. Yes Adam, I think the brick veneer is programed to stop at bottom of slab of upper level. I think it is an anamoly that Aaron and I were able to stumble across a method o "sometimes" have the brick veneer to stop at top of slab in lieu of bottom of slab. I did send in sb.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

By the way Glenn, the build to this line option often appeared to be non functional in the playing with mono slabs..... Either that or I do not understand how to use properly.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I get that, my question is would that change how the model "behaves" in 3d.
    The only difference I notice, is that when using a Custom Pattern, the slab stops under the plate and allows the brick foundation wall to meet the siding. Using "Brick" definition, the slab extends over the brick. I'm not aware of anything other than this.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

The only difference I notice, is that when using a Custom Pattern, the slab stops under the plate and allows the brick foundation wall to meet the siding. Using "Brick" definition, the slab extends over the brick. I'm not aware of anything other than this.
    Got it Cliff, Thanks, here are some videos on this, very interesting.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....199#post409199
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Good videos Scott and thanks for the tip on the Shingle pattern. It calculates by the sq ft also, which is what I prefer. The user will need to remember to set the overlap amount to 0, if they were using a mortar joint thickness, with the Brick pattern.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Thanks Scott, I believe this is the way I'm going to have to do it. Great tip!

The thing I find weird about what I had there is that the line of the monoslab is shown at the edge of the brick face in the foundation plan (as seen in 3D), however... I can't dimension to it. This is why I think it's a bug. It dimensions to where the slab should be (at the face of the CMU wall below). Hopefully this thread will grab the attention of the Devs. and get addressed.

Thanks again Scott, your lessons and humor are invaluable to my day!
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3