Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

X4 render -thought I'd give it a shot

This took 21 minutes using HQ, Final Gathering 81 and Raytrace Param 16.
    I've got a pretty high poly model of couch and chair as well as the statue in the scene.

Still could be crisper.

I only used sunlight and 2 omni lights behind the camera. I forgot to use the slider bar to brighten up the scene but what the heck. It certainly is much better than X3.

i7 12.0GB ram, 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX580
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 RT-21min35sec hi q-fg 81 rt param 16.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	48605  
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Not too shabby. They seem to be getting there.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Nice work as usual. Seems X4 is getting a little more "realistic" in its renderings. Am looking forward to upgrading when it's released.

Keep up the great work!
    Dave Herber
    Cardiff by the Sea, CA

From Dreams To Design

iMac 27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel i7
    AMD Radeon HD 6970m 1GB GDDR5
    Windows 7 Pro / Parallels 8
    Chief 7, Chief 8, Chief 9, Chief 10, X2, X3 and Chief X4
    AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac
    AutoCAD 2014
    Revit 2014

Chief really has come a long way from the previous version. Congrats Chief, I admit I didn't think you'd get this far so quick .

This render was done in Thea and it took 6 min 31 sec in a biased setting. I probably can get X4 much clearer if I up the final gathering more but I don't know how much longer it will take to render. I might try it tomorrow if I have the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thea 6min31sec bsd.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	48608  
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

Pat,

Could you post the same render in X3 versus X4 to give us an idea of how much different they are? That way we can see the differences. Great job!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

Pat,

I see the sun comes further into the scene in the Thea render. Was the setting different than it was in Chief?
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Cardin View Post
    Pat,

Could you post the same render in X3 versus X4 to give us an idea of how much different they are? That way we can see the differences. Great job!
    I think Chief did a lot of tweaking with the render settings in X4. I never could get a decent raytrace out of X3 so I'm not good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Pat,

I see the sun comes further into the scene in the Thea render. Was the setting different than it was in Chief?
    The sun settings from Chief doesn't export with the VRML so I manually put the sun in Thea. At least it never did before. I didn't try it with X4. I don't think they did anything different with the VRML export. There is a lot more control over the sun in Thea. I had to change out the plant in Thea as well. Chief's plants sometimes comes out all funky when exporting.

All in all, I think people will be able to get decent raytraces from X4. Speed is another issue though. This test used only 2 lights and a sun plus it was only one small room. I wanted to see the difference in speed between X4 and Thea.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Sun Settings

Gotcha! Thanks.
    I was trying to compare how the sunlight rendered in X4 vs. Thea and see if there was much of a difference. With the sun penetrating farther into the room in your Thea render it is hard to compare the two pictures and how the light is handled throughout the room. X4 RT does look promising!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Gotcha! Thanks.
    I was trying to compare how the sunlight rendered in X4 vs. Thea and see if there was much of a difference. With the sun penetrating farther into the room in your Thea render it is hard to compare the two pictures and how the light is handled throughout the room. X4 RT does look promising!
    Unless I missed a setting somewhere in Chief, I couldn't manipulate the softness of the sun in X4 like I can in Thea so there would be a difference in how the sun penetrates the room. Also in Thea, you can see exactly where the sun is directed by the yellow dashed lines, which is really helpful.

Would you know by chance if X4's raytrace is considered a "biased" render? It looks like it is and that's why I chose the biased method in Thea.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Would you know by chance if X4's raytrace is considered a "biased" render? It looks like it is and that's why I chose the biased method in Thea.[/QUOTE]

That is above my pay grade! The only thing I know about biased is that you are biased towards Thea! And although I have the latest version of Thea I have not had a lot of opportunity to use it. I do like having it as an option though and will have to see how X4 compares as time moves on.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Would you know by chance if X4's raytrace is considered a "biased" render? It looks like it is and that's why I chose the biased method in Thea.
    That is above my pay grade! The only thing I know about biased is that you are biased towards Thea! And although I have the latest version of Thea I have not had a lot of opportunity to use it. I do like having it as an option though and will have to see how X4 compares as time moves on.[/QUOTE]

Well yes of course I'm biased toward Thea. It's like comparing Chief to Punch or HGTV Home Design. X4 has come a long way from X3 and Pov but there are limitations.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Nice renderings Pat. You are the Queen!
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta
    Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.
    Bluegrass - Fastest Music Alive

Quote Originally Posted by mcrump View Post
    Thanks Michael. I've been upgraded....my mother used to call me "the princess"!... and I don't think she meant it as a compliment.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mcrump View Post
    Not in SanFrancisco she isn't!

Ut oh, I better scram now..........
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Not in SanFrancisco she isn't!

Ut oh, I better scram now..........

I've been known to sashay!
    x4

Fort Worth Texas