Thread: Zero elevation?

Zero elevation?

When importing 3D models from AutoCAD to Chief, using the "Symbol Wizard", does Chief interpret AutoCAD's "X,Y,Z" coordinates, especially 0,0,0 as objects on Chief's elevation "0"? I'm trying to import AutoCAD files so that they automatically come into Chief at the correct elevation. Does anyone know how I can assure that this takes place so that all I have to do is to move the object into the correct x,y position in Chief and not have to concern myself with the z axis?
    David Wolff
    Sunrise Dream Homes

In Chief 9x the Create Symbol Wizard has a "Specify Origin" option plus: if specified as a Fixture type, there is a "Height Off Floor" key in - used with "Sits on floor". Further, there is a Follow Terrain option when the Symbol is placed.

Using Specify Origin Z and / or Height Off Floor, should cover most needs. If not, drop the Symbol, change it's Height off floor, then copy it rather than place new ones.

Hope this helps.
    Ian

Zero elevation

First, I apologize to Ian for taking so long to respond.

To be a bit clearer about what I'm trying to achieve, I am designing a bungalow styled house where you typically have those wonderful independent porch pillars out front. They are seperate from any floor plan since they are sitting on the exterior. In fact they are between two floor levels. The first floor and and their own foundation system.

I have created in AutoCAD a complete porch pier from bottom of footing (-68) to top of plate (+108" above "0") where a horizontal beam would interface. My interface elevation in AutoCAD for this model is 0,0,0 and is placed where I assume CA would acknowledge being elevation "0" or top of sub-floor at 0" (8" footer + 48" to top of mud sill + 12" to top of sub-floor = 68"). When I import through the "Symbol Wizard" my AutoCAD model does not come in at the correct elevation. I am loading the symbol in the foundation plan. It's still not coming in at the right elevation. What am I doing wrong?
    David Wolff
    Sunrise Dream Homes