Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Wall cabinet question

I'm using a wall cabinet as a laundry "passthru" from a walk-in closet into the laundry room. I would like to put a door on one side and have it open with no door on the closet side. Is this possible? I've tried to do this but it seems whatever I want on one side the same holds true for the other side. Am I missing something or do I just have to make both sides "open" and then make a custom cabinet door and manually install it over the opening on the laundry side? Thank you.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    I'm using a wall cabinet as a laundry "passthru" from a walk-in closet into the laundry room. I would like to put a door on one side and have it open with no door on the closet side. Is this possible? I've tried to do this but it seems whatever I want on one side the same holds true for the other side. Am I missing something or do I just have to make both sides "open" and then make a custom cabinet door and manually install it over the opening on the laundry side? Thank you.

No, but what you can do is put in wall cabinet, make it an opening with no shelves, open dbx have back match front... now it is open thru, now create another cabinet that is very thin and put it on the side you want the door or simple use a door panel, bottom line is you will need (2) symbols to create this.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott-- thanks for the info. I made a cabinet that was open on both sides and then just added a custom cabinet door on the one side. I don't know if this is worth making a suggestion to CA or not. I would think there are occasions where using wall cabinets extending out from a peninsula or above an island where you might want a different type of door on one side as to the other. Such as a glass door on one side and a paneled door on the other. Have a great day. We're having a #10 day here in Pennsylvania.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Hi Larry,

Try this:

Cabinet Back = Paneled
    Cabinet Front = Open

rotate the cabinet so that the front is against the wall (or thru to opposite side if that's what you need) and place an opening thru the wall at the cabinet location.

Thinking Outside the Box

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Hi Larry,

Try this:

Cabinet Back = Paneled
    Cabinet Front = Open

rotate the cabinet so that the front is against the wall (or thru to opposite side if that's what you need) and place an opening thru the wall at the cabinet location.

Thinking Outside the Box
    One panel only and no sort opening indicators
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Joe -- Played around with your idea. The only problem is the panel is applied to the outside face, which would work with "European style" cabinets, but I'm using an insert type of style. Thanks for the advice because in some cases it would work.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry use a cabinet with a door on each side. Then using the delete surface tool delete the outside and inside of one of those doors. Then save that cabinet as a symbol. You're good to go!

Louis--as always--appreciate the advice. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Making the cabinet a symbol, certainly works, but do you think you will use it again? And if you use it again will you be able to distinguish between the 2' wide cab and the 3 ' wide cab? Yes, converting to symbol works, but you probably never use that exact symbol again.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Larry,

I'm clearly not a master like Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Larry,

I'm clearly not a master like Scott.
    Ooops, I stepped on somebodys toes again. Louis, I will always consider you to be The Chief Guru.

Method 1: Upper cab with back to match front with no opening and cab doors applied. FULLY EDITABLE but you may want to put the doors on a separate layer so it may be turned off in plan.

Method 2: Upper cab with opening in front and panel on back. FULLY EDITABLE but limited to one panel, no door opening indicators, no door knobs, and no hinges.

Method 3: Upper cab with surface deleted and turned into symbol. VIRTUALLY UNEDITABLE with the exception of change the size of cabinet if you put the stretch planes in. Cannot change door style, moldings, hinges, door knobs, no door opening indicators, symbol does not look like typical upper cab symbol unless edited, wood grain material does not show correctly if changed, cannot change to a glazed finish, probably does not even show in cabinet schedule. Other than those few limitations a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Making the cabinet a symbol, certainly works, but do you think you will use it again? And if you use it again will you be able to distinguish between the 2' wide cab and the 3 ' wide cab? Yes, converting to symbol works, but you probably never use that exact symbol again.
    I must admit that was an inane argument against the symbol option.

So there you go Larry, 3 methods to achieve your goal.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hey Scott,

How about:

Upper Cabinet open front and back
    Another Upper Cabinet with Door only 3/4" deep - set so that front aligns with 1st Cabinet

Now Block them together and add to Library.

The advantage is that each component in the block can be individually edited as a cabinet. The part that has the door can have hardware & hinges. The part that's open front & back can be adjusted for depth. Stretch Planes & Zones can be set for both.

I'm wondering if this would work for a reverse beveled corner cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Hey Scott,

How about:

Upper Cabinet open front and back
    Another Upper Cabinet with Door only 3/4" deep - set so that front aligns with 1st Cabinet

Now Block them together and add to Library.

The advantage is that each component in the block can be individually edited as a cabinet. The part that has the door can have hardware & hinges. The part that's open front & back can be adjusted for depth. Stretch Planes & Zones can be set for both.

I'm wondering if this would work for a reverse beveled corner cabinet.
    Yeah, that is what I thought I was suggesting. I am not sure if I would block and add to library though. If I needed this set up again on another job it would probably be quicker to simply create it again.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Another reason for not blocking the cab & door symbols together and putting them in the library would be because when you brought them back in to a new plan the door symbol would not be on an individual layer that probably should be hidden for plan purposes. I would much prefer to copy from one plan to the other. I have spoken about this often that what is so powerful about the way CA set this up is that when you copy something from one plan to another it creates a new layer in the plan you are working on and puts that item on that layer. And now that layer I think should be correctly either on or off depending on the layer set.... I think.... maybe not.... but then it is a matter of turning that layer either on or off depending upon the layer set. And then of course if you use the SAM that particular layer is already set up correctly.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hi Scott,

I'm not following you regarding the "Door Symbol" layer. Why would it:

a. be on a different layer than it was originally? It's in reality a Cabinet with a Door, not a separate Door Symbol.

b. need to be hidden in Plan View?

Maybe you didn't read my prior post carefully. I suggested 2 cabinets, not a cabinet & a separate door.