Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metric Plans - Need Help!

Does any one have drawings that was drawn using the metric system that I can have a copy of in A PDF Format? I am old school when drawing plans. Now I have a new project that will be built in Ecuador. So any advice or information on converting from imperial drawings to the metric system would help.

I have drawn and have helped to draw plans for use in Mexico, Guatemala and Argentina, none recently. In each case I worked with a local Structural Engineer and depended upon his advice and guidance.

Most countries have available, on-line accessible building permit and general building information which you should closely study. I would be surprised if Ecuador was any different.

I am currently developing plans for a project in Puerto Rico, hand and glove with a local Engineering company.

In any case I wish you well, there is no knowledge like that which you learn on your own.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David;

Do you a have a floor plan and a wall section drawn using metrics in a pdf format that I can have as a referance?

Heather Claycomb
    claycombsdrafting@yahoo.com

Heather;

I have never done a plan in metric but you will probably have less hassle
    if you don't try and convert all the time

work and think in metric

learn what 1' and 4' and 8' are in metric

when I was in Italy I learned what $1 $10 $100 $1000 was in Lire
    then when I went to restaurants or shopping or taxis etc I had some idea
    of what things cost or if I was being ripped off or finding a bargin

If you lived in a metric country you would forget all about Imperial in a few days

work and think in metric

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

G'day mate,
    my life is metric! i think live and eat metric!

i posted a thread earlier in my forum days about having to go the other way to that you are suggesting...ie from imperial to metric. i was hoping that chief had an automatic conversion tool for such things. it kinda does...set up your secondary dimension properties to so it displays both... however, you may want to check with some of the other guys on the best way to make it work for you i havent had to play with it for a while now.

metric is no big deal to work with, i find it easier than feet and inches. your best bet is too download a conversion table off the net and manually go through the plan converting all figures BEFORE you start drawing to feet and inches. it will be time consuming and initially very unproductive to the construction of your drawing, but if you try to do it on the run, you will end up in an awful mess.

Heather,
    You should be aware that you don't really need a table. If you set the primary dimensional format to be metric, you can still enter all dimensions in imperial. So if you have a dimension that is showing as 1.500 m, for example, and you want this to be the metric equivalent of 6 feet, you can just enter 6' when it prompts for a dimension, and it will change to 1.828 m. Very cool. And you can display secondary imperial dimensions while you are working, just to keep you on track. However, I would suggest you learn the dimensions of the local metric materials that will be used. Also, I suspect that there are local conventions for showing metric dimensions. (Such as commas in lieu of decimal points, possible preference for centimeters over meters, etc.)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I have the conversion part down pat, But I need to see set of blueprints that was done with metrics. I need to use it as a reference guide. That is what I need now.

Heather Claycomb
    claycombsdrafting@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    you can just enter 6' when it prompts for a dimension, and it will change to 1.828 m.
    Richard, i know this is a very easy way to enter metric dimensions, but as you also suggested in the last part of your post, generally it's a very bad idea to use dimensions such as 1.828 m (182.8 cm).
    On metric drawings of buildings, usually multiples of 5 cm is used. (25 centimeters/0.25 m, 145 cm/1.45 m). So using imperial for metric plans is actually not a good idea.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

need to see set of blueprints that was done with metrics

Heather:

I'm not clear what good this will do you ???

Please clarify

If I had a set I would send them but ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by portrait View Post
    Richard, i know this is a very easy way to enter metric dimensions, but as you also suggested in the last part of your post, generally it's a very bad idea to use dimensions such as 1.828 m (182.8 cm).
    On metric drawings of buildings, usually multiples of 5 cm is used. (25 centimeters/0.25 m, 145 cm/1.45 m). So using imperial for metric plans is actually not a good idea.
    Eh Portrait, that is only partially correct. I live in Australia, which is metric and whilst the 5cm part is correct the units are not. my plans are all in mm not m!

the only reference in metric plans to metres is normally that of RL's!

By the way, thanks for the information R Morrison on auto converting dimensions! You also are only partially correct...

there is a catch with that method, it is limited only to the use of the dimension tools...it does not work with room properties ie floor defaults, framing material sizes etc (you must still convert those manually!)

All of this points up the fact that plans are very location dependent. So, Heather, you need to get a set of plans from Ecuador, as there is no universally applicable "metric set of plans." And Ozgur, I agree, I should have suggested after converting to 1828 cm, that it then be converted to 1830 cm to meet local standards. Also, there may find varying levels of precision, too. Whereas room dimensions might be shown to 1 decimal point if meters, large scale details could have 3 decimal points. (Or no decimal points if mm.)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamjedgar View Post
    By the way, thanks for the information R Morrison on auto converting dimensions! You also are only partially correct...

there is a catch with that method, it is limited only to the use of the dimension tools...it does not work with room properties ie floor defaults, framing material sizes etc (you must still convert those manually!)
    Adam,

I can type in imperial values to my Room Specification dbx and they are converted to metric.
    ie, I type in 6" for the Floor value and when I move out of the box Chief converts it to 152mm.
    Same for framing sizes etc.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Adam,

I can type in imperial values to my Room Specification dbx and they are converted to metric.
    ie, I type in 6" for the Floor value and when I move out of the box Chief converts it to 152mm.
    Same for framing sizes etc.

say what???? that must be new to x3 because you cannot do that in x2...if you type in 8' for example, it converts the floor height to 8mm...96" to 96mm!!!

Adam,

Your signature doesn't say what version you are using.

Upgrading does have some advantages.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Heather,

The plans I did in Central and South America are the property of others and I cannot legally share them.

It is a rare case where I wholly own the plans I work upon since my specialty is assisting others with their plans rather than originating my own.

You have been offered good advice here by others which you should act upon, you will be and do just fine.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!