DKS is offline Registered User Promoted

Shelving in Elevation View?

Is it possible to show the automatic shelving in cabinets with glass doors in elevation view X3?

I know I can show it in floor view, but when I switch over to elevation the shelves dissapear and I can only see the "glass panel" layer.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

a picture would be a little more helpful. however, that being the case, if it shows up on plan view and not in elevation there may be a couple of reasons why...

1. it has an independant layer assigned which is turned off in the elevation camera (this is unlikely though as i dont think the architectural side of the program would be that complex...more of a kitchen design software thing)
    2. the door is shut by default hiding the shelving inside (even though you have chosen a glass door) chief may not, by default show anything inside a door or any sort.

does it show up in 3d views?

I can see the shelves in 3D, but not in elevation, which I use on all of my plans...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elevation.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	47325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	47326  

Quote Originally Posted by DKS View Post
    I can see the shelves in 3D, but not in elevation, which I use on all of my plans...
    yes, but the elevation is a "vector camera view". notice the door is shut and glass in this vector view is opaque and not transparent.

Try the delete surface tool and click on the glass. The shelves should be visible at this point. Then you can send the view to layout. Problem solved.

The only drawback is...if you open the viewport up again, the darn glass is back.

If you find yourself having to open and close the viewport...and repeating this process, a Cad detail might be better saved in the layout page rather than the actual view.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

Quote Originally Posted by VHampton View Post
    Try the delete surface tool and click on the glass. The shelves should be visible at this point. Then you can send the view to layout. Problem solved.

The only drawback is...if you open the viewport up again, the darn glass is back.

If you find yourself having to open and close the viewport...and repeating this process, a Cad detail might be better saved in the layout page rather than the actual view.
    I'll give that a shot.

I have been doing the CAD detail for the past few times...it works fine...it's just a bit of a pain to keep having to do it each time I want to see the shelves. But oh well...

A more consistent and repeatable solution would be to use a custom cabinet door (.SKP sample attached, import as a Cabinet Door/Drawer but you'll need to get your stretch planes working properly for different sized cabinets- check out the ones that Chief provides) that has no surfaces at all in the panel.

This gets you want you want in your elevations, but won't give you what you want in a render view or raytrace.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter