Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Console

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
    It should. Finish floor means whatever the finish is on top of the subfloor, in this case 1/2" carpet. No?
    This is an ongoing debate. To give the dimension to the top of the finish floor assumes you know exactly the material and specs involved. Not all carpet is 1/2". Not all hardwoods are 5/8". Not all laminates are 3/16". On and on.

A commercial company I do some work for has as their basis that the "finish floor" dimension is to the "bottom" side of floor finish. An architect I also do work for uses material thickness assumptions such as the 1/2" carpet but, in doing this it is known that it may not be exactly accurate. Just something to think about.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

I don't agree. Who cares about the finish floor, that always changes, and anyway its the framing that matters. The floor covering will always change. Do you really know what kind of floor is going to be installed, I think not. big difference between v-tile and pavers and carpet.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

That is my point exactly Perry.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Yes, your post came in before I could see it
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I wasn't talking about the realities of construction, I was talking about the realities of what Chief calculates if you tell it to list the finished floor elevation. And I agree, I wouldn't list it either.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

This all depends what layers you have specified in your Floor Finish and Floor Structure - I assume "finished_floor_elevation" is to top of all your floor finishes.
    Well...you could always use the "floor_elevation" instead of "finished_floor_elevation" which will give you the top of Floor Structure - which may or maynot include flooring. Flooring could be included in the Floor Finish if you want.

I would always specify top of flooring, not framing, as the thickness of the flooring may vary - I consider the flooring material as part of the Floor Structure. Anything on top of the flooring is a Floor Finish.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 05-04-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    This all depends what layers you have specified in your Floor Finish and Floor Structure - I assume "finished_floor_elevation" is to top of all your floor finishes.
    Well...you could always use the "floor_elevation" instead of "finished_floor_elevation" which will give you the top of Floor Structure - which may or maynot include flooring. Flooring could be included in the Floor Finish if you want.

I would always specify top of flooring, not framing, as the thickness of the flooring may vary - I consider the flooring material as part of the Floor Structure. Anything on top of the flooring is a Floor Finish.
    great, there is the option
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Chad:

no "sparkle" here

maybe X4 ???

Lew
    HAHA Lew, your so funny! Yeah I wish it had a shiny sparkly bit to it where every couple minutes it would flicker, it would really get clients attention! Id call it my bling console!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

Hi, thanks, I wasn't aware there was a text macro management tool, I don't have time to play with at the mo. but certainly sounds like what I require. Re. the FFL, here the typical finished floor level would not take into account the floor coverings, it would generally be for structural purposes, I imagine that it would have to be quite a hi spec job to show the actual level of (e.g) top of carpet - only one situation I can recall, and it happened to an associate, not us, the building Inspector was being difficult, and measured the upper floor guardrail height from the top of the carpet, rather than the structural flooring, it showed 990mm rather than the required 1000mm, I am pretty sure the was resolved with no change the guardrail height.

I have tried running the Ruby tutorial (from 2 computers) all that happens is some script comes up in the Ruby screen, and no tutorial... see attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim Grindlay
    SurTec Group Consultants Ltd
    New Zealand
    X4

I have tried running the Ruby tutorial (from 2 computers) all that happens is some script comes up in the Ruby screen, and no tutorial
    Tim, did you try to type show 1 ? The number means tutorial page 1,2, etc...

Tim

Apparently there is a bug in Ruby such that if it is running in the background, the tutorial will not come up in the console. Probably because the Ruby tutorial is a separate Ruby script and will not run if another is already running -- just guessing.

Try it by exiting Chief then open a new plan that has no Macros in its template. After clicking the tutorial button, use show # or forward + enter in the lower bar

If that doesn't work, I'll contact tech support
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Tim,

Open the Text Macro Management dbx.
    Click New.
    Name: Finished Floor Elevation
    Value: %finished_floor_elevation%
    Leave Evaluate unchecked
    OK
    Done

To place the macro in the default room label dbx:
    Defaults...Rooms...Room Label
    Leave a blank line (the Room Label will automatically place on this line when a room is named).
    On the next line type: Finished Floor Elevation: %Finished Floor Elevation%

Thanks, I have tried this, and can't seem to get it to work, has anyone tried this with success.

Thanks.
    Tim Grindlay
    New Zealand
    X4

Tim,

I just did it again and it worked.
    In the Room Specification dbx, make sure you have Show Room Label checked.
    Is your spelling and syntax all correct?

What are you seeing?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quick Point- room labels do not always update.

You may have to uncheck Show Label -- exit and reenter dbx and recheck "show room labels"

I suggest that you always check your spelling by using the "owner" and evaluate function when you create the Macro.

Select the room (remember to select first) and open the text Macro Management dialog. Type in same info as above except Do not Use % before and after finished_floor_elevation in value. check evaluate and select Owner in drop down, If everything is OK you will see the results in the "expanded Macro box when you exit .If not you will see a evaluation error.

In the label dbx you must use % before and after the macro name.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Thanks, my error, I typed it in the room label defaults dbx. incorrectly, now am I pushing my luck to have it display to 3 decimal places, or (eg, 0=10.000)

Thanks a lot for this.
    Tim Grindlay
    New Zealand
    X4