Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The term "Craftsman", as it pertains to architectural style and furnishings, is strongly associated with a magazine of the same name that was published by Gustav Stickley from approx 1908-1914. American "Craftsman" architecture was an outgrowth of the Arts & Crafts movement that originated in England in the late 1800s. A reaction to the overwrought architecture of the Victorian Age, the Arts & Crafts movemnet was based on the idea of simplicity and honest use of materials.

Cliff,
    Of your five houses, only the last one has some resemblance to craftsman, but not really it. BTW, the bases of the porch columns should always extend to grade.

Allen,
    The roof pitch would have been better at 4:12 pitch and craftsman houses rarely had fascia. The gable overhangs could use support brackets, too.

I can't really tell from the rendering, but it looks like the porch is less than 30'' above grade. If that is the case, don't put in code height railings. They don't look right and aren't required. I'd use 32'' railing.

Here is a Craftsman style house I designed about 8 years ago (pre-Chief)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (small).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	46756  
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

I don't want to offend, but you architects can be far too serious with your technicalities and descriptions of architectural styles. If somebody wants a craftsman, victorian, modern, or cubist home, you may want to design whatever your clients definition is, or whatever the public perception is if thats what they find attractive.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I'm sorry if I displayed racial prejudice toward "you architects", please accept my apologies. I realize you're people too.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    I'm sorry if I displayed racial prejudice toward "you architects", please accept my apologies. I realize you're people too.
    Michael,

I really don't know what you have against "us Architects". Obviously you've had some bad experiences and you do appear to be "racially prejudiced" toward us. There's room for everyone here and we all try to help. Cliff asked for opinions and we are trying to give him the best guidance we can.

Dorothy,

Great JOB!
    Excellent attention to detail - one of the best I've seen, including some by Greene & Green.

Is that a photo or a rendering? It looks like a photo but the landscaping is so perfect.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 04-15-2011 at 06:57 PM.

I recently had a potential client ask for a Chateau with southern georgian and cape cod and colonial elements
    mixed into one house for a mid-west prarie farm

when I asked for samples of the various elements the client was "amazed" that I didn't understand what she wanted

said she was looking for an architect who could see her "vision"

if she had sent the samples I might have tried to create her "vision" but without them I was clueless

she never called back and I don't mind

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Michael,

I really don't know what you have against "us Architects". Obviously you've had some bad experiences and you do appear to be "racially prejudiced" toward us. There's room for everyone here and we all try to help. Cliff asked for opinions and we are trying to give him the best guidance we can.
    Joe,

I haven't been on this forum long, but I've been pretty quickly "put in my place" with a lot of non Chief Architect related things and its always been by an architect. You have to know the majority of architects I've met or communicated with come across as very "superior" to all us uneducated folks who can't rely on experience (what does that matter right?).

I was just suggesting you lighten up a bit. I made a lighthearted statement regarding the definition of craftsman style half jokingly, but seriously how much does the correct definition (which even historically can be argued) really matter if the general public thinks it to be something different?

I also was giving Cliff the best guidance I could.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Bungalow style is huge right now because it's a method of building a small house with lots to look at. People are downsizing but want a nice house. I'm currently working on a Bungalow for our "Bungalow Court" section of our development and it will cost them nearly $200k for 1,000 sf. Crazy, but it's what people are doing now. Our company has built 6 houses since the beginning of the year 4 of those are arts and crafts, bungalow style. It's very popular right now.

Here's a link to some examples we are doing.
    http://www.vintagetownship.com/plan_category.php?plan=5
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

I think I have to agree with the Architects on this one. None of the examples shown look "Craftsman" to me. If the customer likes the design, go with it, and call it "Modified or ,whatever state your from Craftsman" and make some money.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quite an education.

I have started a notebook with copies of Dorothy's link along w/ pictures from Dorothy and Allen. This is be for clients to view. I hope that is fine with those who posted the photos?

My biggest question is with the roof pitch on these craftsmen, bungalow or arts & craft type homes.

In years past, I sold hundreds of primary factory-built homes w/ 4/12 or 5/12 pitch roofs.
    Not anymore.
    Now our factory-built & custom site-built homes are generally 6/12, 9/12 & 12/12.
    In Virginia where we build and the above states, the higher pitch appears to be normal for new homes. I guess snow and looks are part of that.

Could a lower pitch roof sell in this area with all the "goodies"?

P.S. Perry, I really like the end of your statement. It sounds like you work in my office.
    Cliff

X3 & X4
    Custom-built, 007 attache' case laptop
    Custom-built PC- the "Machine"
    Hemi big-block-bored, stoked & blueprinted; dyno-tested 714 Hp
    Banks supercharger; Hooker Headers w/straight-thru S/S exhaust
    FedEx stadium sized monitor, reinforced w/ concrete columns
    Radial keyboard w/ "Rat Fink" decal
    Pistol-grip, leather- wrapped (natural tan), 6-speed mouse
    Licensed in the Commonwealth of Va.; insured by Lloyds of Liverpool
    Garage kept

cliffbunyea@gmail.com

MTH is offline Registered User Promoted
    [QUOTE=Alaskan Son;393577]I don't want to offend, but you architects can be far too serious with your technicalities and descriptions of architectural styles. If somebody wants a craftsman, victorian, modern, or cubist home, you may want to design whatever your clients definition is, or whatever the public perception is if thats what they find attractive.

See this definition from the online dictionary for: master builder 

–noun
    a building contractor.

a person skilled in the art of building; architect.

It might just be that we are all the same, only different backgrounds, experience and education.

Try not to let your ego get in the way of learning from everyone. You'll be pleasantly suprised.
    Sincerely,

Mark T Hendricks, CPBD Assoc. AIA

MTH is offline Registered User Promoted
    Here is a Craftsman style house I designed about 8 years ago (pre-Chief)[/QUOTE]

Dorothy, Beautiful!!!
    Sincerely,

Mark T Hendricks, CPBD Assoc. AIA

Mark, your attachment did not work.
    Cliff

X3 & X4
    Custom-built, 007 attache' case laptop
    Custom-built PC- the "Machine"
    Hemi big-block-bored, stoked & blueprinted; dyno-tested 714 Hp
    Banks supercharger; Hooker Headers w/straight-thru S/S exhaust
    FedEx stadium sized monitor, reinforced w/ concrete columns
    Radial keyboard w/ "Rat Fink" decal