Create floor tile borders & custom designs

I want to design the floor & wall tile patterns for a bathroom and view them in 3D. How do I do this?
    Last edited by KMueller; 04-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Welcome to the Forum.

Important post/thread you should read:
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=41788

Custom slabs, poly-line solids shaped the size of your accent tiles.

Depending on the design differing tools, shapes and custom materials could be used.

You will need to a little more specific in order to get a specific answer please.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Imagine a bathroom floor with 2 borders around the perimeter and then a custom pattern in the central field, or imagine a decorative strip of tile (~6" wide) that goes across the tile floor and up the wall?

Don't just imagine. Start doing it with Chief. Slabs for the floors, p'line solids for the walls. Materials. Done.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

I got ya, so just build thin polylines in the floor, and then they will be visible in rendering. Cool.

Hey, do you know how adjust where on a polyline solid, a pattern starts relative to an edge. Like if I put a 12" square grid pattern on a surface that is 18" long, and I want the grid boxes to be full sized along a specific wall or along a specific side of the thin polyline solid, and then on the opposing side there would be 6"x12" grid boxes.

K:

Haven't checked it but I assume Chief's patterns start at 0, 0, 0 (x, y, z). You could check this out in a test plan.

Regarding getting your pattern showing properly, once you've created a border, for example, and in plan you see that the grout lines are not in the right places, then you'll need to open up the tile in the "plan materials" and go to the pattern tab and alter the origin. Remember that textures are independent of patterns so you will have to adjust that as well if you plan on doing rendering views of your project.

You might want to visit ChiefTutor.com and check out Patricia's tutorials ... I believe she has one or two that discuss how to do this. Scott Hall may have one or more tutorials on this as well (at ChiefTutor as well).
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

You can also use a 3D molding polyline with the the molding offset from inside to outside. this can be set slightly above the main floor pattern. THe 3D molding polyline will be set on the first floor even if drawn on the 2nd floor. You can replicate itto the 2nd floor height if needed or offset the molding to that level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual bordernfrom door.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	46645  
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    You can also use a 3D molding polyline with the the molding offset from inside to outside. this can be set slightly above the main floor pattern. THe 3D molding polyline will be set on the first floor even if drawn on the 2nd floor. You can replicate itto the 2nd floor height if needed or offset the molding to that level.
    This is a very good idea Gavin. However I would suggest a 2D in liew of 3D molding..... it will now show as a double line in plan view. Now if we could give the molding a fill I would be a very happy camper.

I may have to explore this with a video..... 2D or 3D or psolid with a hole in it..... oh the possiblities....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

"However I would suggest a 2D in liew of 3D molding..... it will now show as a double line in plan view"

True!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Done with solids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiled bath.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	46650  
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

One Way -

I did a video just for that: http://www.chieftutor.com/textures/TileTextures.html

I also offer a free textures:

David Michael
    - David Michael Designs
    - email: davidmichaeldesigns@gmail.com

- Chief X5 User started with 9.5 - Windows 7
    - Free Chief Symbols
    - CHIEF ARCHITECT TRAINING VIDEOS ONLINE FOR FREE - ChiefTutor.com

David Michael you are the bomb! Excellent video! You make it look sooo easy --which it turns out-- IS! Thanks again for your generosity!

Chief X4 Premier (User since V9.0)
    Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    Nvidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Thank you David, Excellent video.
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.