Hybrid View

I have to echo Alaskan Son, to a certain extent. Most of the architects that I have worked with have minimal field experience.

I mostly build decks and pergola's, so in the past, there wasn't a lot of engineering required. That is certainly changing.

The architects that I worked with trusted me with the "how to build it" concerns. In other words, I did the structural parts, they did the cosmetic parts. The permit offices did not seem to have a problem with that either.

It's not as far fetched as it seems. I actually have a degree in structural engineering, but I am not, nor have ever been a engineer. I kick myself about that now.

Back to the OP's original question. I draw all that I can. I submit it to the permitting organization, and if they want it, I pass it on to a engineer, for review. This is a extra cost, as stated in my contract. These day's, that is the norm. The permitting organizations want zero part of the liability, even for a simple straight forward project. Unfortunately, the customer has to bare that cost, to do almost any project now.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor