Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    I don't think there's any problem doing things you're competent to do and comfortable doing. Engineers aren't required on every project I do. The real key is knowing when you're over your head need to engage an engineer.
    I'm in agreement with this - but I got my education at a University that provided both Architectural and Architectural Engineering degrees. I majored in Architecture but minored in Architectural Engineering. I'm fairly confident in doing most of the Structural Engineering for smaller projects but when I do a project that has a lot of special analysis I hire an Engineer.

If I am going to need an Engineer, I get them on board early so that there's no delay in getting their work. I provide them with layouts as soon as the prelims are done. Generally, they do all the necessary calculations and provide details that I incorporate into the CD's. As an Architect, I am qualified to Stamp the CD's (including Structural) and will do so. The calculations themselves will be stamped by the Engineer. If the project is very complex I'll have the Engineer review and stamp the Structural Drawings as well.